GUEST COMMENTARY: Council Member Peter Brown supports Prop 4

On Nov. 3, Houston voters will be asked to make a very important decision ‘- whether or not to approve a constitutional amendment to help UH become a flagship, nationally-recognized research institution.

I ask you to join me, and vote ‘yes’ on Proposition 4.

Proposition 4 will establish ‘the national research university fund to enable emerging research universities in this state to achieve national prominence as major research universities…’

If approved, funds would be transferred from an existing higher education account to UH for research exploration without new tax dollars or bonds.

Aside from the important academic recognition flagship status would mean for our University, economists agree on the tremendous economic impact approving Proposition 4 will have on our city.

It is believed that for every $10 million in research expenditures, 334 new jobs will be created, adding $8.6 million to the regional economy and generating $13.5 million in local sales.

I can attribute a large portion of my success today to UH. I’m a proud alum and care deeply about UH’s future. I believe our schools and universities are a vital part of our city, and that is why I encourage all Houstonians to vote ‘yes’ on Proposition 4.

Peter Brown is a UH alumnus, FAIA member, AICP member, Houston City Council Member, At-Large, Position 1