FIGHTING WORDS: How have the Texans done so far?

At issue: What is your assessment of the Texans at the halfway point of the season?

Keith Cordero Jr.: Moats steers the boat

I have to say that I am shocked the Houston Texans have bounced back so strongly.

After the season-opening loss to the New York Jets, they have won five of seven games and are now primed for a playoff push. As disappointing as Steve Slaton has been at times, the Texans may have found a hidden gem in Louisiana Tech product and the Philadelphia Eagles castoff Ryan Moats, who had more than 100 rushing yards and three touchdowns this past weekend as the Texans rolled the Buffalo Bills, 31-10.

Houston is off to its best eight-game start in franchise history, thanks to great play from guys like Matt Schaub and Brian Cushing. I give them a B so far, simply because the defense was atrocious through the first four games, and Slaton can’t hold on to the football.

The Texans had opportunities in losses to the Arizona Cardinals and the Jacksonville Jaguars on goal-line plays where they were also unable to punch it in for a touchdown.

The loss of Owen Daniels will hurt, Andre Johnson needs to step up, and Moats’ role will be increased as the season goes along. All in all, the Texans have had a solid season, so far.

David Brooks: It’s all about the coaching

Let’s not get too excited with the running game just yet, Keith. It was good to see the Texans’ ground game break out of its funk, but they were playing the worst rush defense in the league. Moats won’t look any better than Slaton has against better defenses if the offensive line can’t block.

I will give credit to the coaches for salvaging what could have been a disastrous season. They decided to unleash the linebackers, and they’ve finally realized that the Texans are just not a run-first team.

Since the Texans are about where most people expected them to be at this point, and their performances have varied from great to abysmal, I’m going to give them only a C.

The Texans should finish no worse than second in the AFC South, and I can definitely see them earning their first playoff berth this season..

Salomon Fuentes: The true tests are yet to come

Have either of you looked at some of the teams the Texans have beaten?

The Oakland Raiders? The Bills? The Tennessee Titans? Any franchise with a pulse could beat these teams.

Sure, the Texans are doing what playoff teams are supposed to do, which is beat up on bad teams. But the Texans have yet to deliver a signature victory that proves they can make the postseason. They’ll have a chance to do that this week when they face the Colts.

If they can split the season series against them, I’ll buy into this team, because their inability to play at a high level, week in and week out, is detrimental to their success. The only person the Texans have been able to rely on this year for consistency is Matt Schaub.

You’re right, Keith. Losing Owen Daniels is a big blow because he had been Schaub’s go-to guy this year. Where they go from here will depend on how the defense continues to progress.

The defense’ might be doing a better job at getting interceptions, but’ it still struggles to get much of a pass rush. Even Mario Williams is having a down year in that regard.

For now, I’m giving them only a pat on the back and an Incomplete, because I, for one, don’t know who the ‘real’ Texans are.

Judge Phillipe: Grading on a curve

Well, I’m impressed that none of you took the homer route and gave the Texans an A for being a whopping two games over .500 this late in the season. As impressive as that is for the Texans given their history of ineptitude, that is just average for most of the league.
As David alluded to, the Texans can thank a change in philosophy for the team’s turnaround, but they are still laying eggs during crucial parts of games. Be it the first half against the Cardinals or the second half versus the San Francisco 49ers, good teams don’t often have those types of bad stretches.

Salomon also brings up an interesting point that this success has to be taken with a grain of salt, and the true tests are still to come.

What the Texans do versus the Colts and the New England Patriots will help determine whether they are contenders or pretenders.

For now my grade is a B-, with a ‘finals push’ needed.

Verdict: David edges out Salomon for recognizing Kubiak’s pride check.

Facetime: Brooks --‘ Didn’t Jeff Fisher say Kerry Collins gave the Titans their best chance to win?