RESERVATIONS FOR SIX: Running game hits fantasy football’s main stage

What a week it was for running backs, as Maurice Jones-Drew and Chris Johnson flexed their muscles and finally showed their value with two of the top five fantasy performances of the week.

The surprise of the weekend came from Texans running back Ryan Moats, who shocked the world by rushing for 126 yards and three touchdowns, making him a coveted week nine free agent pickup.

Here are this week’s best bets and the disasters waiting to happen.

Top’ 3 on the starting blocks:

Maurice Jones-Drew -- Jacksonville RB

Coming off a 177 yard, two-touchdown game in a loss to the Titans, Jones-Drew has another golden matchup this week when he faces the lowly Kansas City Chiefs.

Jacksonville’s offense is geared around Jones-Drew, and he should run wild against the Chiefs. Kansas City is currently 26th in the league against the run, surrendering 4.4 yards per carry and 131 yards per game.

Matt Forte ‘- Chicago RB

It was nice of Forte to finally show up in week eight with a respectable game of 90 yards and two touchdowns. Forte, a top-five running back in most preseason fantasy drafts, has disappointed owners for much of the season, but look for him to have his second great game in a row this week.

Forte will get his shot at an exposed Arizona defense that allowed 245 yards rushing and two touchdowns to Carolina last week.

Vincent Jackson ‘- San Diego WR

The Chargers released veteran wide receiver Chris Chambers, so look for Jackson’s production to increase, as he becomes the primary target for quarterback Phillip Rivers.

Jackson has a preferable matchup this week against a New York Giants team that has lost three games in a row. In their last three games, the Giants have allowed an average of 265 yards through the air ‘- a 100-yard increase from their season average.

Top 3 pining for the pine

Brandon Marshall ‘- Denver WR

Marshall is coming off a down performance in the Broncos’ 30-7 loss at Baltimore. The road doesn’t get any easier for Denver, as the defending champion Steelers are up next and safety Troy Polamalu is healthy again.

The Steelers’ front seven will put all kinds of pressure on quarterback Kyle Orton, making it tough for him to get the ball downfield to Marshall.

Jason Campbell – Washington QB

Unless your only quarterback is Campbell, you should sit him this week simply because the Redskins are in complete disarray as a team. Campbell has thrown an interception in all but one game this season.

The loss of Chris Cooley to injury and the ineptness of the Redskins offense really put a damper on the starting of players on the team.

Steve Slaton – Houston RB

Another fumble last weekend for Slaton and a total of 11 yards can really kill a fantasy owner. Moats will continue to take carries away from Slaton, whose inability to hold onto the football won’t help.

The Texans have never won at Indianapolis, so Slaton is an obvious choice to sit.