UH roots itself in health-related studies

Trees have a rich variety of leaves and branches, but they cannot survive without roots; the most important root in a society is its education system.

Students branch out through science seeking profound knowledge. They can only flourish with solid educational roots. Educational institutions must have qualified instructors, good management and a solid curriculum in order to produce a generation of worthy intellectuals.

UH’s flagship aspirations are important, but will an increase in medical-related science degrees help increase its status?

Probably. The health-related studies at UH, which span science and biomedical engineering in addition to health law and policy, now constitute more than half of UH’s research grants.

New administrators and faculty have been added, including Pharmacy Dean Lamar Pritchard. University Health Initiatives Assistant Vice President Kathryn Peek was also hired to run the UH Health Initiative and the recruiting of prospective faculty members.

President Renu Khator said that the increase was meant to boost students’ success and enhance the value of a UH degree.

Medical programs were added to better meet the University’s work force needs. This should establish UH as a research university that favors health science and attainment of flagship status.

UH officially becoming a member of the Texas Medical Center was a rather gallant step, considering it is only the second school, after Rice University, to be granted such status.

The membership will open doors and opportunities for students.

Collaborations with Medical Center institutions, most notably the Baylor College of Medicine and Michael E. DeBakey High School for Health Professions, will allow students who earn an undergraduate degree at UH to have an easier time pursuing a medical degree at Baylor.

Having such ties should prove valuable.

Bissan Rafe is a biology senior and may be reached at [email protected]