READER RESPONSE: Government does not control dress codes

This article is a response to Wednesday’s staff editorial, ‘Government dictates fashion standards.’

You ask, ‘When did the government start deciding what a male should or shouldn’t look like?’

Telling a kid that he can’t wear a female wig to school is not a case of the government deciding what males should or shouldn’t look like. This kid can wear that wig just about anywhere he wants to: a bar, the post office, the ballot box, the mall, to any place of worship he chooses and no harm will come to him. Several thousands of Americans are protecting his right to do so.

Some governments would incarcerate or kill him for wearing that female wig to any location, but the U.S. is a model by which other societies can base their own melting-pot populations. This kid is not going to die for his wig.

However, to keep the U.S. from becoming the laughing stock of the world, we maintain some semblance of order in our schools. Some governments don’t allow women to be educated or don’t have schools. We educate everyone – every race, gender, creed and sexual disposition – and we do it for free and guarantee your right to such. All we ask is that you dress in a reasonable manner.

School is a place to be educated, not to make fashion statements. There are probably kids who want to go to class nude, but I’m sure our evil, discriminatory government will not let it happen.

Dustin Sanchez is a law student, 3L and may be reached at [email protected]