UH NOTEBOOK: Cougars use strong second half to outlast Mavs

The women’s basketball team followed up its season-opening road win over Gardner-Webb with a 78-74 road win over Texas-Arlington on Tuesday.

As was the case in Friday’s opener, junior guard Brittney Scott led the way for the Cougars, tying her career high with 27 points. Junior forward Courtney Taylor also had an impressive game, scoring 25 points while grabbing 10 rebounds’ to record’ her 27th career double-double.

The game was a back-and-forth affair, marked by 12 ties and 15 lead changes.

Scott capped a 7-0 run by nailing a pair of free throws with 29 seconds remaining in the first hald, and connected on a 3-pointer as time expired to send the Cougars into the break with a 3-point lead.

The Mavericks battled back after the break, scoring 11 of the first 18 points of the second half to tie the game at 40-40 with 15:44 remaining.

The teams continued to trade leads until the Cougars went on a run with under six minutes remaining to erase a 1-point UTA lead and build a cushion the Mavericks would be unable to overcome.

UH will host Oregon State at 7 p.m.’ Thursday at Hofheinz Pavilion in Cougars’ home opener.

Cross Country
The U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association named sophomore runner Stephanie Aldea to the Division I Cross Country All-Region Team on Tuesday.

Aldea finished among the top 25 runners and narrowly missed earning her second consecutive at-large invite to the NCAA Championships.