Committees seek student representatives

The Student Government Association is now accepting applications for the positions of non-voting student regent to the UH System and non-voting student representatives to Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board advisory committees so that they may suggest candidates to be appointed by the governor.

‘It’s an opportunity for students that are interested in shaping policy in higher education,’ SGA President Kenneth Fomunung said. ‘Students are exposed to the dynamics of how things work in a public university in relationship to the city.’

A student regent has the same powers and duties as the members of the UH System Board of Regents, including the right to attend and participate in meetings. Student representatives may not vote on any matter before the board or make or second any motion before the board. The student is not counted in determining quorum.

‘Each student government from each of the six universities in the University of Houston System selects five applicants,’ SGA Vice President Prince Wilson said. The deadline for selections is Jan. 1, 2010.

The selections are then forwarded to the UH System chancellor,’ selects two’ candidates that must be’ turned over to the governor by Feb. 1, 2010.

‘The governor has the freedom to either appoint someone or choose from the recommendations,’ Wilson said.

After the governor makes a decision on June 1, 2010, the student must serve a one-year term, which expires on May 31, 2011, while maintaining a 2.5 grade-point average.

Students applying need to be in good academic standing and commit to attending no less than three out of four quarterly board meetings, which are held in January, April, July and October. Applicants should also meet the qualifications established by the state.

The SGA is also looking for candidates for a non-voting student position for each of the five Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board advisory committees. Non-voting student representatives for these committees will be appointed for a two-year term that runs’ from June 1, 2010 to’ May 31, 2012.

It may be difficult to find students who are interested, however, since these are also non-compensatory positions. Fomunung said he has received only one application.

‘It’s a very influential position. I would encourage all students to apply,’ Fomunung said. ‘It’s an opportunity for personal growth and leadership. I would think this could have some significance to some students with their future profession, ambitions and career paths.’

Applications for these positions can be found in the SGA office, the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs or on the SGA Web site. Applications must be submitted by Nov. 6 at 5 p.m. for consideration.