Fire breaks out at UH dormitory

Firefighters rushed to the campus Friday night to put out a fire at a’ residence hall’ on the UH’ campus.

The fire broke out in a third floor room at Bates Hall in the Quadrangle, UH Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee wrote in an email.

According to preliminary reports, no students were hurt, though some may be reassigned to other rooms’ due to smoke and water damage caused by the building’s sprinkler system.

The fire may have been caused by a hotplate that fell on some clothes, Lee wrote in the email. At this moment, police and firefighters have yet to announce a cause.

Residents are prohibited from having hotplates in on-campus residence halls.

More details are forthcoming.

Leave a Comment