STAFF EDITORIAL: Fans need to show up, rain or shine

It seems attendance numbers at football games depend on how UH is doing rather than school spirit and support for the team.

Attendance was underwhelming again for Saturday’s game against Memphis, and despite UH dominating the contest, fans began leaving the stadium before the game was over.

Unlike the games against Texas Tech and SMU, for which fans began lining up hours before the game, there were many seats empty Saturday.

Athletics is looking into the possibility of upgrading or even building a new stadium, but with such poor attendance for the past couple of games, how will Athletic Director Mack Rhodes justify building a new one when we can’t fill the stadium we have now?

With this being one of the best seasons for the Cougars, one is left wondering what the team has to do for support.

It is sad to watch other football games’ involving schools such as Texas and Texas A&M University, where fans, rain or shine, are out supporting their team. They cheer the entire game, sing their alma mater and are out having a good time supporting their school.

It is embarrassing to be at UH games, where students do not know the alma mater, even though it is displayed on the big screen.

Sure, Saturday’s weather was probably not the best for enjoying a football game, but many alumni stayed. Why couldn’t students? Didn’t they want to celebrate with their football team, as they did against SMU and Texas Tech?

Showing support at athletic events is part of being a college student. Painting your face scarlet red and albino and supporting the Cougars is part of being a Cougar. Students should soon realize this.

Some may say that there is not much school spirit at UH because this campus is traditionally a commuter school and students don’t eat, live and breathe UH. But if we want to get away from the ‘Cougar High’ label and start comparing the University to a flagship university, then school spirit needs to improve.

Bandwagon fans need not apply.