Digital library enlightens students

Have you ever wondered what Houston looked like in the 1920s? Well if you have, there is a photo gallery that will make you salivate.

Have you ever wondered if those buildings your mom and dad remember from their days at UH actually existed? And if so, why they don’t anymore?

How about asking your old relatives to compare photos of the journalism department from a 1949 yearbook to current pictures.

I believe that one of the many values associated with our fine academic institution is our city.’

Houston has an interesting history that few know about.

In grade school and again in the first few years of college, Texas students are required to take courses in U.S. and Texas history, but how much does anyone ever learn about the history of where our ancestors decided to settle, or the place where we chose to receive an education?

Although students who take Texas history classes at UH learn about the fourth largest city in the U.S., the rest of us often do not learn enough about Houston. It’s not to say that our education system is flawed; we are not doing justice to our city’s rich history.

I’m willing to bet that most students could talk about General Sam Houston or the battle of San Jacinto, but could they tell you about Houston in the 1920s, before UH was established?

I am one of those who could not elaborate on such a subject, which is why I was elated to see how deep our University’s database goes.

The digital library is more than a collection of facts and pictures; it’s an invaluable story that ignites emotions and thoughts you would never have thought possible.

Knowledge about Houston is not likely something you’ll need on an everyday basis, but its ability to help bridge connections with everyone you talk to could be.

As we near the holiday break, one thing we often dread is lengthy amounts of time with extended family. Something that could lighten these dreadful family meetings is having good talking points.

One fact holds true with most families: stories are more fun if you haven’t heard them, and having some of your own to share are an asset.

This winter break when you’re stuck on a couch with grandma or at a dinner table with your aunt and uncle along with the rest of the family, bring up Houston!

Andrew Taylor is an economics junior and may be reached at [email protected]