Fashion

Are fashion bloggers harmful to the name game?

Explicit or not, fashion bloggers are taking over the fashion industry.

These aren’t the stereotypical kind who lounge around their homes in pajamas, flipping through channels on their TV to find an appealing topic. These bloggers are out and about, seated almost front row at top-of-the-line fashion expos, next to social icons such as Anna Wintour, the editor of Vogue.

Magazines such as Vogue have to wait an entire month to publish details of fashion weeks, whereas trendy bloggers can easily release information, via their iPhones or BlackBerrys, on personal blogging Web sites just minutes into a show.

In a recent blog, Filipino blogger BryanBoy claimed, “I’m not delusional to fool myself into having aspirations of being an esteemed editor,” after he discovered that many commenters on a Brazilian blog were putting him and other fashion bloggers against some of the industry’s heavyweights.

BryanBoy has stated that his sole reason for blogging is to entertain his fellow readers and put his two cents into the world of fashion, rather than to be compared to or even take the place of the editors of big-time magazines.

Taking a look at his blog, one might notice that not only does he attempt to keep his readers up-to-date with new trends, but he also provides cheaper alternatives. He is a bit popular around town, so he’ll occasionally share published articles of him in various magazines around Europe, including some insights into his more personal life.

Although some brands such as Prada do have YouTube channels to stream their fashion shows live, BryanBoy also records fashion shows and posts them on his Web site to give his readers an insight into such VIP events.

From a boy blogger, it’s only a bit more surprising to know that there’s also a 13-year-old blogger, Tavi.

Tavi is not one to post straight from fashion shows. Rather, she is one to flip through old fashion magazines, take pictures of them, and post them on her Web site to show her favorite vintage styles. She includes many photos of runway shows and entire magazine pages, so it’s fun to click on these images, be directed straight to Flickr, and select “all sizes” to fully observe and take a closer look at the images on each page.

Tavi’s sense of style seems to emerge from vintage stores and magazines from a decade ago, rather than the newer trends. This is easily noticeable through photos of herself, in which she’s decked head-to-toe with printed skirts, different-colored tights, and loose t-shirts. It’s quite interesting to see such a young girl so knowledgeable in vintage fashion, but at least it’s a big relief for Vogue, since she isn’t publicizing current trends before the magazine is able to get to it.

Although some of these bloggers really do have the ability to release photos, videos and other information quicker than labels and magazines would like, they have no intention of sabotaging their names. Their only intentions are to entertain and to publicly voice their opinions, and there can be no harm in that.

Besides, what better way to get free recognition for these almost unaffordable labels than through these various blogging Web sites? All the big-time magazines can finally get off their high horse and give these bloggers a chance to do what they do best: show off their styles and bring in more fabulous followers.