Travel

San Antonio offers fun for all

San Antonio is the home to some of Texas’ most significant history, including its battle for independence, and is where the ruins of the Mission of San Antonio de Valero, also known as the Alamo, are located. Amusement parks, aquifers and a plethora of history make San Antonio the ideal getaway for fun, food and excitement.

One of the only remaining Six Flags in Texas after Houston’s Astroworld closed five years ago, Fiesta Texas exhibits one of the best. Rides such as Goliath will keep heads spinning as riders suspended in the air while zooming through twists and turns. If you crave aquatic fun, 20 miles north of San Antonio on I -35 is Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels.

San Antonio’s nightlife is no cheap thrill either. Visitors can come get down and dirty at the world famous Coyote Ugly Saloon.  You can certainly expect a happy hour when you go.

Home of the “world greatest rock ‘n’ roll dueling piano show,” Howl at the Moon is the place to go for nonstop entertainment.

The location offers piano players, comedians, singers and a variety of songs from the ‘70s.  As servers and hostesses’ perform, audience participation is strongly encouraged.

If dancing the night away isn’t your idea of fun, enjoy a beer at Rita’s on the River, located on the famous River Walk.

For outdoor lovers, Hemisfair Park is home to the Tower of the Americas, which overlooks the city and a children’s park.  Visitors can view Alamo City and theme parks while dining at the same time.

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park offers free tours of the four historic missions and churches established on the frontier with native habitats excellent for bird watching.  A section of the original river can be viewed from the nature trail at Mission San Juan.

For your shopping pleasures, the historic market square La Villita Historic Arts Village is a thriving art community with many walk-up shops.

The San Antonio River and River Walk provide the perfect atmosphere for couples to stroll down this lush green space, pick up a boat ride, shop and hear some great music.  Make sure your next destination is San Antonio, Texas.