GOP attempts to usurp tea party movement

When the tea party movement began last year, it was in some ways a welcome sight; it had been a long time since anyone in this country demonstrated any real concern about fiscal responsibility.

What began as various unorganized grassroots campaigns grew quickly into a national political movement with the potential to shape elections at every level of government.

But after Sarah Palin’s keynote speech at the inaugural National Tea Party Convention on Saturday, it’s possible that the former Alaska governor single-handedly killed the tea party movement.

Palin delivered an address that seemed to hint at her aspirations of running for president. Unfortunately for her, the speech sounded like recycled Republican Party talking points promoting the same failed policies and poisonous ideas.

The tea party movement has a diverse membership and its message has sometimes been incoherent. But its leaders have tried to maintain focus on the issues of fiscal responsibility and constitutional conservatism — two positive goals.

Since the tea parties first became popular, however, the Republican Party has tried to co-opt the movement to rebrand its old policies.

If last weekend’s convention was any indication, Republicans have succeeded.

Palin’s speech was not the only part of the convention that was an insult to the movement’s grassroots beginnings and its original goals. The convention itself reeked of politics-as-usual, with tickets costing $549 per person and Palin receiving a $100,000 speaking fee for the privilege of having a platform from which to launch a presidential campaign.

This made the event appear little unlike the standard high-dollar fundraisers that many people find offensive.

To make matters worse, other convention speakers espoused messages at odds with the movement’s tight focus on fiscal responsibility.

Steven Portnoy of ABC World News wrote that former Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo’s opening-night address ripped into “the cult of multiculturalism.” The article also reported that Tancredo said President Barack Obama was only elected because “we do not have a civics literacy test before people can vote in this country.”

Multiple speakers also ridiculed homosexuality and criticized displaying tolerance toward homosexuals.

Numerous sources reported a high level of explicitly Christian social conservatism present at the event as well, including an organized prayer session.

Foxnews.com reported that an official platform was announced during the meeting, including the requirement that “prospective political candidates will be expected to support the Republican National Committee platform.”

This convention offers concrete proof that Republicans are trying to use the tea party movement to put a new face on their old policies. Luckily, the original spirit of the tea parties isn’t completely dead.

A rival tea party group opposed the convention and e-mailed its members warning them to be wary of attempts by politicians to co-opt the movement. Meanwhile, there has been growing unrest as members of the grassroots groups realize what is happening.

The upset masses need to distance themselves from the Republican Party and those more concerned with disastrous social policies than the good of the country. They also need to take back the conservative brand and refocus its message on fiscal responsibility.

Our political discourse needs a wide diversity of views, and a legitimate conservative voice would be a positive addition.

They may also want to consider a name change. It’s kind of hard to take people who call themselves “tea-baggers” seriously.

David Brooks is a communication senior and may be reached at [email protected]