Words not as important as meaning

Editorial cartoon drawn by Mishele Lamshing

There are many things to watch on television these days — from celebrities endorsing political candidates to ladies on The View discussing their favorite sexual positions — even if we don’t want to hear about it.

The Federal Communications Commision lessens its restrictions on what networks can and cannot broadcast every year, and editors of print publications become increasingly liberal with what they’re willing to publish.

It’s a little ironic that in a world where everything is so open, political correctness is at an all-time high. The public is not concerned with what a person says so much as the context in which it is expressed.

Any comment that can be construed as racist, sexist, homophobic or prejudicial is considered unacceptable. If a public figure says something that is not politically correct, they’re called out.

John Mayer shocked America Wednesday with his colorful choice of words in a Playboy interview.

He described his sexual preference of white women over African-American women, going so far as to compare his penis to David Duke, a former grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. Mayer also used racial and gay slurs, effectively managing to offend homosexuals, women and minorities all in one interview.

Mayer later apologized for his comments, saying the interview got out of hand. But the interview was indicative of a bigger problem in America, shedding light on the effect words have on society.

In reading the transcript of the interview, it becomes clear that Mayer is not really a racist. He’s just a jerk with too many opportunities to run his mouth.

Political correctness was created in the U.S. as a means to be appropriate and avoid offending others. Over the last few years, however, this has changed.

The emphasis placed on words has made them stronger weapons. People such as Mayer who want to defy political correctness do so to make a statement, with no concern or regard for moral correctness.

Our fear and anger over words has given them too much power. Our society has become so sensitive that we often let words get the better of us.

We have stopped listening to the message someone is trying to get across and instead pay attention solely to the words they use. Some words are so emotionally charged that they are inappropriate, but it is important to remember that they are just words.

They have become as powerful as they are because we have allowed it to happen. We created them, and we have control over their impact.

Liz Price is a communication junior and may be reached at [email protected]