Soccer

Soccer sweeps spring tourney

After waiting nearly four months to return to the pitch, the soccer team made the most of its time there this weekend.

UH posted a 3-0 mark Saturday in the 17th annual Texas A&M 7-on-7 Tournament. The Cougars got off to a good start in their first matches in College Station.

The Cougars knocked off on Sam Houston State, Lamar and Texas-San Antonio in the split-squad season-opening tournament.

UH allowed only three goals, shutting out Lamar and UTSA, while racking up 18 goals of their own. Texas A&M was the only other team to go undefeated, winning all four of its games.

Although the tournament was not a round robin, the Cougars will play Texas A&M and Houston Baptist later in the season.  Rice, which beat UH in its last conference match of the fall season, is the tournament’s only team the Cougars will not face.

For its next games, UH will travel to Austin to face off against Baylor and Texas Tech on Saturday.

The Cougars lost to Baylor when they played in 2008, snapping a four-game win streak over the Bears.

The Red Raiders will take a month off after they face UH. This may give the Cougars extra incentive to play well and leave Tech with skeptical down time.

Both games will take place at the Northeast Metropolitan Park in Austin at 10 a.m. on February 27th.