Staff Editorial

Medina, White earn our gubernatorial endorsements

As Tuesday’s statewide primary approaches, Texans are trying to decide who to cast ballots for.

In the Republican primary, Rick Perry, Kay Bailey Hutchison and Debra Medina are facing off; in the Democratic primary, Bill White is going head-to-head with Farouk Shami.

While all the candidates have pros and cons, The Daily Cougar sees Medina and White as the best of the five on both sides of the coin.

“I’m not a politician, and I’m certainly not rich,” Medina said in a recently released television advertisement. Medina claims to be an average citizen and, by that account, vows to pay attention to the needs and rights of the average citizen in Texas. Her support has tripled since her Jan. 14 televised debate against Perry and, because of this, we have a feeling that Texans have taken a strong liking to her.

We have, too.

Medina is a true Texan, advocating for limited government and a restoration of state sovereignty.

White, our choice between the Democrats, recently left Houston’s mayoral seat. Other than approving red-light cameras around town, while mayor, he wasn’t involved in any controversy and was well liked. He was rated by Governing magazine as 2007’s Public Official of the Year, and had it not been for term limits, White would have most likely run for a fourth term.

And he would have won.

White is a Houston favorite and an advocate for fiscal spending who promises to “squeeze the most out of every dollar, every day.” He hopes to make Texas a more productive state while allowing taxpayers to keep most of their hard-earned finances.

What Texas needs right now is a governor who will assist in its economic needs, while increasing productivity.

Medina and White each look like they are up to the task.

• One thing we should be able to unite on is that Rick Perry needs to go.

Texas is carrying $33 billion in debt, second only to California, and we are projecting a $17 billion deficit next year. The federal government is teetering on financial ruin and we are compelled to focus on the absolute gravity of the fiscal difficulties ahead of us.

We need new leadership; one thing in Medina’s favor is that her campaign is supported by the people–at least she won’t be beholden to any special interests.

Something to think about.

Please crossover and help us get Perry out!

• Ken,

How in the world could you know next-to-nothing about Bill White unless you don’t live in Houston or choose to be ignorant about local politics? If it’s the former, why would you seek out The University of Houston’s Newspaper, and comment on an article. If it’s the latter, how can you possibly endorse a candidate who prefers the jurisdiction of local government?

• For you supporters of Medina, can you please tell me why “nullifying the unconstitutional federal Environmental Protection Agency” is a good thing? How is this: “…maintain a legislative environment where if someone pollutes your air, water, or land you can seek legal action for trespass on your property” better than what we have now? And how is this statement anything but words?

• The EPA is WASHINGTON telling Texas what to do. The point is, it is supposed to be TEXAS telling Texas what to do. Texas can do the EPA job much better than Washington. Matter of fact, it is my understanding that Obama wants to use the EPA to enforce his cap and trade agenda.

• Simple, they call them lawsuits and criminal libel. Don’t need a bloated, inefficent bureaucracy to reinforce that which is already there.

• Obviously smart and perceptive students at the University of Houston with independent minds.

Texans face a stark choice tomorrow. SERFDOM (Debtors’ Prison) or FREEDOM (Our Founding Fathers’ Bequest to us).

Debra Medina for We the People. She is one of us. How lucky we are in Texas to have the opportunity to vote for a candidate like Debra Medina. We have a once-in-a-life-time opportunity to shake the corridors of power. Remind them who they serve and who is charge. Make history. Change this paradigm of serfdom. They don’t own us. We want to be free again.

VOTE DEBRA MEDINA

• Nullification doesn’t exist. The last time it was seriously discussed was just before the civil war.

Plus, you didn’t see liberals talking about nullifying the patriot act or other federal laws we didn’t agree with. Had we, we would have been called unpatriotic. Instead now, you’re acting like patriots. Congratulations.

Also, congratulations on supporting a gubernatorial candidate who wouldn’t even admit the government didn’t orchestrate 9/11 when asked by Glenn Beck.

• Charlie, Rick Perry took $380 million of our taxes and handed it out to Countrywide (now bankrupt) and other of his business cronies. He gave $50 million to his alma mater, Texas A&M. If you don’t have a problem with that you don’t understand the difference between a criminal act and good governance. He received campaign contributions from Merck Pharmaceuticals. His campaigned manager got a job from Merck. By executive order, Perry mandated that our daughter be vaccinated with an untried Merck product. If you don’t understand this, you don’t understand political graft. He backed down, but he should never have backed in. He has no clue what it means to be accountable to the electorate. Just two examples of the many I can quote. I’ll take Debra’s misinterpretation of that snake, Glen Beck’s stupid question any time. Perry stole our taxes. That’s pretty simple isn’t it, or would you like to give him another $380 million to waste away on his pet projects? He should have stayed with Al Gore and his campaign after he could not get the old fart elected to the White House. He is a Democrat in GOP garb. Debra Medina represents us, we the people, our interests, not the interests of his alma mater, of his corporate backers and other cronies.. Wake up, Charlie. The crooked politicians have driven us close to bankruptcy. It is time we stand up for the sake of our children and grandchildren. Debra Medina is the real deal. The embodiment of honesty and integrity. How lucky we are in Texas to have such a candidate in the race.

SERFDOM (debtors’ prison) or FREEDOM (Our Founding Fathers’ bequest to us)

Vote MEDINA – because we want to be free and remain free

• Vote Medina, because there is no Socialist candidate on the ballot (?). (The crooked politicians have driven us close to bankruptcy. It is time we stand up for the sake of our children and grandchildren. Debra Medina is the real deal. The embodiment of honesty and integrity. How lucky we are in Texas to have such a candidate in the race.) Although your comment sounds a bit like Abraham Lincoln, too. Why do people run to worship politicians? It happened with Obama, now here with Medina…

• Sleuth51:
      Charlie, Rick Perry took $380 million of our taxes and handed it out to Countrywide (now bankrupt) and other of his business cronies. He gave $50 million to his alma mater, Texas A&M. If you don’t have a problem with that you don’t understand the difference between a criminal act and good governance. He received campaign contributions from Merck Pharmaceuticals.His campaigned manager got a job from Merck. By executive order, Perry mandated that our daughter be vaccinated with an untried Merck product. If you don’t understand this, you don’t understand political graft. He backed down, but he should never have backed in. He has no clue what it means to be accountable to the electorate. Just two examples of the many I can quote. I’ll take Debra’s misinterpretation of that snake, Glen Beck’s stupid question any time. Perry stole our taxes. That’s pretty simple isn’t it, or would you like to give him another $380 million to waste away on his pet projects? He should have stayed with Al Gore and his campaign after he could not get the old fart elected to the White House. He is a Democrat in GOP garb. Debra Medina represents us, we the people, our interests, not the interests of his alma mater, of his corporate backers and other cronies.. Wake up, Charlie. The crooked politicians have driven us close to bankruptcy. It is time we stand up for the sake of our children and grandchildren. Debra Medina is the real deal. The embodiment of honesty and integrity. How lucky we are in Texas to have such a candidate in the race.
      SERFDOM (debtors’ prison) or FREEDOM (Our Founding Fathers’ bequest to us)Vote MEDINA – because we want to be free and remain free

Sorry to upset you buddy, but I’m a democrat so I don’t plan on voting for Medina or Perry.

Also, the governor has no power over the federal government. None. This race isn’t about the federal government as much as you Medina people want it to be. Please, thought, continue thinking nullification exists.

• it doesn’t matter much which republican takes control of the statehouse because the systemic problems that plague texas run deep. a shiny new administration run by a 9/11 truther who finds the very existence of government offensive will not make any appreciable positive change in texas. the best thing to anyone can do is follow the long line of people leaving texas for greener pastures.

• Gomm, Glen Beck slandered Medina. Up to that point in time she had never had idea what 9/11 truther meant. She had heard that large parts of the 9/11 commission had been redacted and she thought he was directing his question to that part of the report. There is no long line of people leaving Texas. Four hundred people a day are moving into the Dallas metroplex. They heard about Medina’s campaign and want to be free again. If you happy for government to take your money and redistribute it to suspect mortgage companies and a favorite university without any controls other than the good governor’s wishes, then you can have that type of government. Your central government has placed a $12 trillion debt on you and your children. Soon annual interest payments will exceed $500 billion, or 50% of what individuals pay into the Treasury. I don’t why anyone would like the idea that half of their income taxes goes towards paying interest to the Chinese and Japanese. If this is the kind of government you wish for, then you have your wish and with that the evaporation of the American dream. As a Cuban recently said, “We get free health care and education, but our children have no dream.” We put sanctions on Cuba, but our leaders are pushing us towards a Cuban-style government where the nanny-state takes care of us, until the money runs out. Soviet Union Horror Show II all over again.

VOTE DEBRA MEDINA and break the shackles of political graft, because we want to be free and remain free

• Charlie, I hope it doesn’t, but if it does come to a race between Perry and White, independents like me will vote for White. Perry sent his buddy Beck to do a smear job on Medina. He’ll pay for it. Vote Kinky Friedman for Agricultural Commissioner. Kinky got my vote in the last election.

• so, Sleuth51, are you at least getting college credit for spamming every texas university board or are you just some campaign hack’s lowly intern? or both? just wondering.

SERFDOM FREEDOM VALHALLA TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE etc etc.

• sorry, my last post lacked substance.

for all of medina’s talk about small government, her medical billing company received a $50,000 FEDERAL loan for small businesses. loans designed to aid failing small businesses.
    looks like someone doesn’t have faith in the invisible hand of the marketplace and ran to the big evil federal government as soon as she could.

oh and there’s her sweetheart deal with wharton county’s EMS services. her company receives a 9 percent commission for their billing services, nearly double the national average. her company overcharges the country, which medicare (a federal program) reimburses.

she’s a classic republican hypocrite, forcing the common suckers to compete in the “free market” while laughing all the way to the federally funded bank. her opposition of health care reform is just her protecting her sleazy business, nothing more.

medina is the k-mart knockoff version of sarah palin. she’s the kind of person who would read 1984 and wonder how she could score a sweet gig like o’brien’s.