Staff Editorial

UH needs to make its voice heard in SGA elections

The time has come to once again vote for your student body representatives. Polls to cast your vote for all Student Government Association positions open Monday and close Thursday.

This year, three of the five candidates running for president are members of the 46th administration.

Vice President Prince Wilson, Director of Finance Carlos Reyes and former Director of External Affairs Mariam Zakaria are running for the position.

Catherine Roca and James Strickland are also running for the position; neither have experience in the SGA Senate.

If you like what your senators and the 46th administration have done, or think the senate needs to do a better job, you should log on and vote. Make your voice heard.

Last year, only 2,945 students out of the more than 36,000 who attend UH voted in the SGA election, which is ridiculous. Voting is a right you have as a student. You don’t have to register, show proof of income or citizenship or anything like that. All you have to do is log on to the SGA Web site, type in your name and cast your vote. It really isn’t hard.

Care a little about your University. This is part of being an informed college student and having pride in the institution you attend.

These are the students out there talking to the deans and the administration on behalf of the student body. They are the voice for all UH students in a closed committee meeting. As students, you should care who represents you.

Almost every student running for a position has a Facebook page. Go online to look at their agendas and what they stand for. Be informed before you cast your vote. People are out campaigning in front of the M.D. Anderson Library and posting posters in their respective colleges. Seek them out, talk to them and then vote.

You have four days to vote for your next student body government. Get out there, represent your college and vote. It doesn’t take more than 10-15 minutes.

• I’m very happy to see this editorial on behalf of the Daily Cougar’s Editorial Staff. Thank you for stressing the importance of voting, whether it’s for an election in your university, county, city, state or country.

It’s important to note that Elections are taking place from 7 a.m. – 11:59 p.m. Monday – Thursday at http://www.studentelection.uh.edu. All you need is your peoplesoft ID number, and your date of birth.