Coleman, Taylor rewarded again

Monday’s announcement that Aubrey Coleman was named to the All-Conference USA first team gives the standout UH guard his second consecutive selection to the team.

This season, Coleman racked up nine of his 12 career 30-point scoring performances on his was to leading the nation with 26 points per game.

In only two seasons with the Cougars, Coleman has moved up the school’s all-time scoring chart to occupy 15th place with 1,400 points.

Coleman is second in the nation with 2.7 steals per game. If he can regain the top spot he held for much of the season, he would become the first player in Division I history to lead the nation in both categories.

More accolades for Taylor

Courtney Taylor followed up a week in which she was named to the All C-USA first team and the All-Defensive team by being named the league’s Player of the Year on Monday.

She is the fifth Cougar to earn the award and the first since Chandi Jones, who won the award three consecutive times from 2002-04.

This season, Taylor leads Houston in rebounding, steals and field goal percentage, while ranking second in points and blocks.

Her 39 career double-doubles rank first on the Cougars’ all-time list.

Exceptional play on the diamond

After a stellar showing at last weekend’s Houston College Classic, where the Cougars went 3-0 and recorded the first back-to-back shutouts in tournament history, three UH players were named to the All-Tournament Team.

Junior shortstop Brian Kelso was selected after batting .400 for the tournament and accounting for the Cougars’ lone run in Saturday’s 1-0 win over Texas.

Freshman catcher M.P. Cokinos made the team by tying a Houston College Classic single-game record with five RBIs in Sunday’s 15-8 win over Texas Tech in the Cougars’ tournament finale.

Sophomore pitcher Michael Goodnight earned his spot on the All-Tournament team after tossing a gem against Texas. He went seven innings and gave up just two hits while striking out nine batters.