Softball changes date for twin bill

The softball team made a couple of changes to its schedule this week. First, the Cougars added a game against Monmouth on Tuesday and won 3-1 behind 10 strikeouts by Amanda Crabtree.

The Cougars also moved Wednesday’s doubleheader against Southern, which includes the fourth annual Striking Out Breast Cancer game, to Thursday due to impending inclement weather. The first game will start at 5 p.m., and the nightcap is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.

The slate of events for Thursday includes a silent auction, allowing fans to bid on everything from sports memorabilia to the special pink jerseys and helmets sported by the players. The Department of Athletics said 50 percent of all ticket sales and 100 percent of the silent auction’s proceeds will benefit the Houston affiliate of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

In addition, commemorative pins will be available for $2, with all proceeds going to the foundation.

Fans can also get involved by wearing pink to the games to show their support for not only the Cougars, but also a worthy cause.

More good news for Goodnight

Fresh off his selection to the Houston College Classic All-Tournament Team, Cougars righthander Michael Goodnight has racked up another pair of awards.

First, Goodnight was honored as the Conference USA Pitcher of the Week on Monday. Then came word that the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association had selected him as the NCBWA/Pro-Line National Pitcher of the Week.

The recognition comes on the heels of Goodnight’s dominant performance last weekend. The sophomore threw seven shutout innings and struck out nine batters in the Cougars’ 1-0 win over USA Today/ESPN then-No. 5 Texas.

Floyd keeps flying

Following in her family’s fast footsteps, junior sprinter Kalyn Floyd has qualified for the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.

The event will be held Friday and Saturday at the Randal Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville, Ark.

Floyd, whose older sister Ebonie was a standout for the Cougars from 2003-2007, earned silver in the 200-meter dash after posting a provisional-qualifying time of 24.12 seconds at the Conference USA Championships in February. She earned her spot at the NCAAs by running the 200-m in 23.49 seconds at the Texas A&M Challenge on Feb. 13.