Motorcycles solve parking problem

Parking is one of the most pressing issues for students at UH. Faced with rising gas prices and being forced to walk increasingly long distances to class, many students have opted to ride motorcycles to school.

A plethora of bike types are represented on campus. Motorcycles take up less space and are easily maneuverable; riders also receive the benefit of the closest parking proximity to buildings on campus.

Despite these advantages, however, there are also inherent dangers in riding. Motorcyclists are nearly invisible to drivers of four-wheel vehicles and must learn to ride defensively, especially in inner-city traffic.

Furthermore, motorcycles do not feature the same advanced safety systems, such as seat belts, crumple-zones and airbags, as cars. It is almost impossible to fall down on the street while riding one and not get seriously injured.

With technology improving as quickly as it does, it’s becoming more and more common to find machines that have more horsepower than a small car at one-fourth of the weight.

This can make for much more fun than one would get from driving a car, but unfortunately also means much more danger.

Factor in that as young college students, many riders on campus are largely inexperienced and are sometimes adrenaline junkies, and the results can be deadly.

Student riders often navigate traffic in little more than a T-shirt and jeans for protection; some of them wear helmets, but many do not.

But there are solutions that allow riders to master their machines, go fast, be safe and have fun.

Several organizations in Houston offer programs known as track days — events held on a closed road racing circuit where all bikers are welcome.

Riders are assigned to groups according to skill, insuring that those who want to ride around the track at 160 miles per hour will not interfere with riders who prefer a more leisurely pace. Instructors follow riders and work with them in intermittent classes throughout the day. Proper braking technique, faster cornering and other maneuvering skills are taught in classes.

At the RideSmart Motorcycle School, students learn how many feet per second they travel at 50, 60, 70 and 80 mph. Students also learn how many feet are lost in reaction time (the time it takes to see an object, realize it is in your way and grab the brake), which can make for a sobering wake-up call.

This is not only a safe and fun way to realize the performance potential of one’s motorcycle, but it also translates to safer and more responsible street riding.

Motorcycles are great modes of transportation and fun to ride. Whether a person enjoys cruising through the back roads at a moderate pace or flying down the freeway at triple-digit speeds, attending a track day can only serve to benefit riders and the drivers around them.

Unfortunately, many riders find out through painful, costly experiences how dangerous street riding can be. Track days improve students’ skills while teaching them to be more responsible and informed riders.

Maybe the lessons from one of the classes could end up being a real lifesaver.

Joel Yelton is an English senior and may be reached at [email protected]

• Interesting article. However as a motorbike rider myself, I would dispute the claim that “It is almost impossible to fall down on the street while riding one and not get seriously injured.” If you’re wearing even basic gear (helmet, gloves, jeans, jacket, some kind of footwear that covers your ankles) you can fall off without hurting yourself at all. I should know – I’ve done it!

Sure, if you fall off in shorts, a t-shirt and bare feet you’re going to get hurt. But so you would if you fell over while stepping off a bus, or riding a pedal-powered bike.

I applaud the attempt to get all riders to have some basic training and wear some basic gear. But bikes don’t have to be as dangerous as our mothers try to tell us!