Students right to help community

Editorial cartoon drawn by Dick Hite Jr.

Many students seem to think that all their counterparts at the C.T. Bauer College of Business care about is money; the thinking is that business students don’t care about anything but themselves.

However, there are many student organizations working to dismiss this belief, one of which is the student organization for supply chain management — the American Production and Inventory Control Society.

Located at the business school, APICS is on a mission to change this belief through helping people who sometimes go unnoticed — especially the elderly and children at various local schools.

APICS, with the assistance of the Salvation Army, recently donated time to an assisted living community, playing bingo with its residents.

Elizabeth Osorio, a senior at the business school and APICS vice president of external activities, helped organize the event. From a young age, Osorio has spent time helping others; she, among others, enjoyed visiting the assisted living community and spending time with people who no longer have families to talk to.

The students all felt rewarded for their efforts afterward, and each took away a great deal from the experience.

“We learned (that) a smile and a few hours can make a difference in someone else’s life,” Osorio said. “They just wanted someone different to talk to and laugh with.”

Osorio said she couldn’t have put this trip together on her own; she was happy to see that 11 other individuals had volunteered their time as well. Everyone involved had so much fun that Osorio said they plan to go back to the community in April.

Muhammed Elgassier, a business senior and president of APICS, said, “Life is more than the possessions we can carry; it’s more about the lives you can positively touch.”

Aside from working with the elderly, APICS is also doing work with several local schools.

About 30 volunteers helped faculty members host a field day Saturday at one such school.

Their efforts reminded students of what being a kid is like, and showed the school what the business school is all about — giving back to the community.

Students at the business school are taught to care about the bottom line of whatever endeavor they may be involved in, but also to be shepherds of the community.

Through these acts of giving back, students in the business school are simply showing their Cougar pride and providing leadership for future generations, not just for students, but for future corporations as well.

Harold Arnold is a business senior and may be reached at [email protected]