Staff Editorial

UH gives students even less incentive to stay on campus

For those who are unaware, the Starbucks and the C-Store in the UC Satellite now close at 7 p.m. instead of 8 p.m. as they once did earlier in the semester. While our opinions are obviously biased because The Daily Cougar offices are in the UC Satellite (and yes, we need our coffee), this seems to us a failure on the part of the UH administration.

Isn’t the University trying to achieve flagship status? And to do this, shouldn’t they be encouraging students to stay on campus later, which could in turn lead to higher involvement in extracurricular activities?

That’s our two cents, at least.

But then again, perhaps UH is trying to cut back on spending and save us hard-working, penniless students some green when our next tuition checks are due.

Wrong.

Every night, as we leave our offices (or every morning, technically), we walk past the dozen or so televisions in the game room/pool hall that are never turned off. Then we walk outside and look left toward the dining hall; the televisions there are on all night, too.

So, the University has apparently decided to cut back on what students want — places to sit, relax and have a cup of joe — while failing to recognize how much money they could save by just turning off the TVs.

And yes, we have tried to do it manually; it doesn’t work. They’re on some sort of automatic system. Don’t believe us? Try it for yourself.

On a side note, it’s ironic that UH has decided to go green with Recyclemania and the reusable to-go containers (which are another issue entirely), but have failed to be environmentally friendly in the most obvious of ways: If you’re not using it, turn it off.

But back to the main issue: Wouldn’t students be more inclined to stick around on campus if they had places to go? As it is now, the only reason we have to stay after classes is to avoid rush hour traffic.

• Wouldn’t this be primarily an Aramark decision? I don’t know how much of the blame falls on UH students.

And UH really doesn’t care about commuters one way or the other — case in point, the continual lack of respect and consideration wrought by the insane decision to hold frontier fiesta at robertson

• Will, have you ever thought about transferring? You don’t have to put up with the disrespect to UH commuters if you don’t want to. There are plenty of options out there, even in Houston that will treat you commuters like you want to be treated.