Tennis

Cougars humble Toppers

Laura Ring teamed with fellow junior Elena Kazakova to earn one of the Cougars’ two doubles wins against St. Edwards on Monday. | Tony Nguyen/The Daily Cougar

In their second home match since a 10-game road trip spanning the better part of March, UH and St. Edward’s took to the courts for a noon match Monday.

Coming off a 7-0 win Saturday at home against Prairie View A&M, the game against the Hilltoppers comes in the second of a three game home stand.

After getting blanked by an identical score against Missouri in their last game, UH (10-6, 0-1) clinched the victory against St. Edwards by taking all six matches in the singles draw.

UH got its only doubles point with a 2-1 match win, which included wins by junior Laura Ring and Elena Kazakova, along with freshmen Maja Kazimieruk and junior Joanna Kacprzyk.

“I think it’s imperative that we do finish strong; we have a lot of work left,” head coach John Severance said. “Our last three matches are all going to be tough.”

In UH’s only doubles match loss, freshman Bryony Hunter and Alexandra Pickerill struggled, losing to a Hilltoppers tandem led by sophomore Mary Bain.

“(With) doubles (we’re) still not where we need to be. I think that is going to be very, very crucial for our success to finish out the season and for Conference USA,” Severance said.

Hunter struggled in doubles play, but the freshman bounced back by routing her opponent 2-0 in the fastest singles match of the afternoon.

“It was good to see that Byrony bounced back and just killed it at singles, setting the tone. It’s tough when you don’t start the point in doubles,” Severance said.

Senior Neila Starratt did not play Monday because to a stomach virus. Houston will have a few days off before hitting the court April 10 against Louisiana-Monroe at 11 a.m. Saturday at home.

“I think everyone likes playing at home, it’s familiar and comfortable,” Severance said. “We’ve been a singles team all year, but we need to be a complete team, not just a singles team.”