People should respect boundaries

Whether you’re culturally aware, athletic or want to dedicate your free time while on campus to standing up for a cause you believe in, there is truly something for everyone at UH.

The University is wonderfully diverse, both in terms of culture and interest. Students who choose to become involved in campus life can find many fulfilling activities to become part of.

Students who are involved in such activities know the amount of work it takes to make their organizations successful. Someone might be part of a great group, but unless they can convince people to join, it will never be more than a few people who simply decide to get together every now and then.

Recruitment is a necessity for every organization on campus. Groups need to make other students aware of the causes they are advocating.

But there is a stark contrast between making someone aware of an organization and invading someone’s personal space.

Many of us, especially those who commute to campus, spend most of our time at school in a rush. We fill our days on campus with classes, studying and much-needed time with friends.

Whether rushing to grab a cup of coffee before a test or hurrying to the library to print off a paper before class, passing through the University Center during the middle of a school day can sometimes be downright dangerous.

It is fine for people to want to inform others about their organization, but it can be very unpleasant when someone comes within 2 inches of someone’s face in an attempt to tell them about something or to force a wadded-up brochure into their hand.

While most students agree such people should not be forced to stop altogether, they do need to understand the meaning of personal boundaries.

I had an experience once where someone from one such organization force a Photoshopped picture of President Barack Obama wearing a Nazi uniform into my bag when I didn’t want to accept it. At the same time, there are many people who approach students the right way, calmly asking them if they are interested in hearing about their organization.

Most students are much more inclined to listen to a pleasant person then someone who seems as though they’ll chop your head off if you don’t take time to hear them out.

There is a proper way to do things without being invasive of other people’s space. It is important to be respectful of the fact that some people simply aren’t interested in what you’re saying.

Liz Price is a communication junior and may be reached at [email protected]