Clown not issue with McDonald’s

There is constant scrutiny regarding the health and overall weight of Americans. Everything from sexy models to beautiful movie stars to an annual list of the fattest cities in the country are a persistent reminder of what kind of role models the children of today are pressured to measure up to.

The one prominent figure who doesn’t quickly come to mind is longtime fast food mascot, Ronald McDonald. Apparently, there are some people who would disagree, so much so that they are fighting to have the smiling clown “fired” because they feel he directly promotes childhood obesity.

Corporate Accountability International is a company that challenges corporate abuse in an effort to protect the public. Ronald McDonald is the latest victim in CAI’s crusade for healthier food and children. Since 1963, the clown as been the icon of the McDonald’s corporation, and CAI feels that “Ronald deserves a break and so do we!”

If you visit RetireRonald.com, you’ll find an entire website created by CAI, decked out with cartoon characters and mocking any typical child-geared website. There are also plenty of activities for you to participate in, such as signing Ronald’s retirement card or taking a Ronald McDonald fact quiz.

There are multiple reasons why America has gained such negative attention when it comes to obesity. Although children can be very persuasive, they are not really the ones who drive to the restaurant, open up their purse or wallet and buy the fast food. Parents do those things. So part of this fight for healthier children is directly linked to the growing problem of parents not standing their ground and telling their children “no.”

In my case, every now and then, my mom said “yes,” and as I grew older, I came to not only enjoy many fast food restaurants, but visited them frequently out of sheer convenience. I will also admit that ever since middle school, I have eaten fast food at least three times a week. At the same time, I am now 23 years old, stand 5-8 and weigh only 120 pounds. If eating fast food is directly linked to childhood obesity, then why hasn’t it affected me?

Another contributor that CAI is conveniently leaving out is genetics. CBS reported that “Stanford University found that having overweight parents is the biggest risk factor for childhood obesity.” Not only that, but the article goes on to list the three major overweight factors, and none of them have anything to do with fast food. They say that a child’s temperament, amount of sleep and a lack of parental concern contribute to childhood obesity more than anything else.

So why attack Ronald? If he deserves to go, then why not retire the cute little Wendys girl or the loveable Chick-Fil-A cows? CAI claims that because Ronald McDonald is a clown, he is more relatable, and children feel safe taking his advice. I find this difficult to believe when it is common knowledge that many children are, in fact, afraid of clowns.

If CAI were to succeed in bringing down the individual it calls “the deep-fried Joe Camel of the 21st century,” it would be taking away more than just a fast-food icon. It seems to forget that the name “Ronald McDonald” is also associated with Ronald McDonald House Charities that provide a home and security for sick children all over the world.

If CAI is so intent on trying to improve childhood obesity, then it needs a new focus. Retiring Ronald McDonald will no more prevent a child from begging for a Happy Meal than removing the star from the flag will stop me from being Texan.

Callie Thompson is a communication senior and may be reached at [email protected]