Baseball

Whitting to lead baseball

Todd Whitting will return to the school for which he played and served as assistant coach after being named head coach last Friday. Whitting will be the eighth baseball coach in UH’s history. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

After spending over six years at Texas Christian University’s baseball program, it was announced last Friday that Todd Whitting will return to UH as the next head baseball coach.

Todd Whitting left the UH baseball program in 2003 as an assistant coach, a position he was hired to after graduating from UH in 1995.

Whitting was instrumental in TCU’s run to this year’s College World Series because of his ability to recruit—14 of the 32 players were from the Houston area.

Whitting said he hopes to attract the same caliber of athletes to UH.

Athletics Director Mark Rhoades said in a press release that many people hold Whitting in high regard.

““When speaking with numerous baseball people across the great state of Texas, everyone spoke very highly about Coach Whitting — the person and baseball coach,” Rhoades said in the release. “He is committed to the development of student-athletes both on and off the field and will work tirelessly to elevate Houston Baseball to the next level in all areas.”

Rhoades indicated that Whitting’s successful history of recruiting top players played a big part in the decision to hire him.

“Recruiting is a huge factor and if you look at a couple of our hires this year, you can see the ties our coaches have to recruiting in the city of Houston and the state of Texas,” Rhoades said.

While recruiting is a significant aspect for the team, Whitting said that getting on the same page with his new team is top priority.

“Immediately the current team needs to be addressed. I am excited to meet with my current players and learn more about them and prepare them for the upcoming season,” Whitting said in the release. “I am excited to talk to the players and then hire a staff and get on the road recruiting. There is a gold mine at the University of Houston. We have won at a very high level in the past.”

According to the release, Whitting has played a role in winning 16 conference regular-season and tournament championships. He has also participated in 13 NCAA Regionals and five Super Regionals.