Staff Editorial

Glenn Beck takes on Houston media conspiracy

Last Friday, a 58-year-old woman was injured after she opened what she thought was just a normal package of chocolates. However, it was a pipe bomb that sent the woman to the hospital with shrapnel to the face.

After several days, it was reported by local media that the woman was the wife of the oil executive Brock Moore, president of Adams Resources Exploration.

Now that several days have passed, one man is crying media conspiracy. Glenn Beck, talking about the BP’s media blackout, used the pipe bomb explosion to validate his fear of threats against people working in the oil industry.

Beck then went on to report on the incident, all under the guise that this was a story that should have been heard long time ago.  That is, there should have been faster media reaction to this story. There are, however, parts of this story that do take time to get. The main fact would be the motivation for the bombing, along with who sent the package in the first place.

That is the heart of this issue; Beck doesn’t seem to care about the woman in Houston. What he seems concerned with (as always) is proving a much larger conspiracy.  All of this overshadows the very real possibility of a continuing threat to the families of oil executives.

By using this to try and prove his argument, his logic will implode if it turns out that there is another motivation to this bombing.

But by that time Beck will have probably moved on to the next thing that he believes we should already know about.   He talks about media irresponsibility, but he seems to be short in the area of follow up.

This is something that all media should be concerned with. Oftentimes we find ourselves getting breaking news, but never learning of the information that completes the story; we get stuck with a headline and some political jargon and left with nothing else.

If not, we could all just make up whatever argument we wanted regardless of the truth of the issues that we use to prove our logic.

• "If not, we could all just make up whatever argument we wanted regardless of the truth of the issues that we use to prove our logic."

Sounds like the Daily Cougar's coverage of every SGA election ever.

• GB cares about not only the victim of this crime, but other victims that may follow if it does indeed prove to be conspiratorial. It's the rest of the media, including this it seems, that doesn't seem to care enough to even mention it in a timely manner.

• The Chronicle reported the story as it developed. For all we know, the culprit could be anyone ranging from a jilted mistress to an angry ex-employee to an isolated freakshow like the guy who flew his plane into the IRS. It could even, yes, be a left-wing radical. The fact of the matter is, though, that neither the public or media outlets have any leads released by authorities. Hysterics never get us anywhere good.