Activities & Organizations

Bauer group initiates social network

The C.T. Bauer College of Business launched its new official student-based website on Monday.

It was developed in order to encourage students to get involved and take pride in their school, as well as to provide practical and timely services to it’s students.

“(MyBauerPride.com) was originally sparked by the University’s ‘You Are The Pride’ campaign and a desire to Cougar pride within the college of business,” the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Business Programs Frank Kelley said. 

He helped develop the idea for the website and turned it into reality.

The business school wanted a dynamic new website to encourage student participation and help keep students involved in their school.

Staff and students worked together, referring to other school’s websites to come up with a concept students greatly benefit from.

Senior communications manager for the business school Jessica Navarro and the executive director of communications and marketing Chester Jacinto, work together with their communications team to develop content and update it in a timely manner.

UH alumnus Joel Rivera helped design the site, shoot video and assisted with the promotional campaign.

Some of the content includes videos and pictures of UH students displaying Cougar pride and talking about life on campus. The Business school lends out Flip video recorders to students to encourage participation.

Features on the website allow students to send direct links to their Facebook page on the homepage, so students can keep track of information and events.

Other features include polls, calendars of upcoming events sponsored by the college, news stories, a current weather feed and a market watch.

“We wanted it to be a place that was constantly changing,” Kelley said.

Considering the website is fairly new, not many students are aware of it. The college of business is focused on advertising it by passing out bookmarks and T-shirts.

The business school plans on having weekly themes for the first three weeks of class. The first week is “Be Proud,” and features videos and pictures of students in Cougar regalia. 

The second week of school, “Get Involved”, coincides with Rush week, which features an expo of over 20 Bauer student organizations.

The third week will be named “Be a Leader” and features the Business Student Association Volunteer Expo that showcases 35 non-profit organizations.

“Hopefully it will become a site of choice for many of our students,” Kelley said.