Guest Commentary

Football program is good for University

What a difference four years, a bold vision, and a top-notch football program can make. When I first enrolled in the fall of 2006, I knew that UH had a relatively under appreciated reputation as a nationally competitive university with world-class educators, programs and students. One of the reasons I think this was the case was because school spirit had been seriously lacking, even as our research exploded. However, I have witnessed a transformation over the last two years, due in large part to the energy and ambition brought to our campus in 2008 by President Renu Khator, among others.

We now have a bounce in our step, so to speak. Among the seven universities in Texas classified as “Emerging Research Universities,” UH is the closest to joining the ranks of only UT, A&M, and Rice as Tier One. Because of the enthusiasm and effort of Mrs. Khator, the hard work of our professors and faculty, and the dedication and achievement of our students, UH is closer than ever to receiving the national recognition we have deserved for years. The University has made this a top priority, ensuring that we not only continue to thrive locally, but attract the best and brightest students and faculty from around the nation. While becoming a Tier One school isn’t everything, it will certainly add to the caliber of our University.

In addition to academics, having a nationally-ranked football team lead by head coach Kevin Sumlin has certainly helped with our school spirit and given the campus something to rally behind — while also garnering attention on a larger stage. While the importance of athletics, specifically football, has been debated since schools began fielding teams, the attention and prestige brought to our campus, as well as the sense of school community and spirit that accompanies a team that does well is undeniable.

As a senior graduating in December, I write this mainly for incoming freshmen, including my younger brother. Appreciate what this University has accomplished in such a short amount of time, attend the games, work hard to contribute to UH academically and keep us on track to be the best school in Texas. We’ve come so far and grown so much in just my short time here, but with an involved and dedicated student population, there is no telling what this university might achieve in the future.

Justin Mayberry is a Psychology senior and may be reached at [email protected]

• I'm so appreciative of you all for posting my article! Just FYI, there appears to be a typo at the end of the 2nd paragraph. It says "OnAe" instead of "One." Thanks!

• Justin, I know your grandparents and they are very proud of you. One correction – it is not Mrs. Khator it is Dr. Khator. Great article.

• Take a look at the amount that the UH subsidizes its athletic program.
    I was reading an article in USA-Today about the degree to which universities provide
    direct institutional support to its athletic program. I discovered that UH uses between $15M and $20M per year to support its athletic programs. This is about 50% of the total operating expenses. This likely comes out of YOUR tuition and fees. To put this in perspective. Texas Tech has a similar scale operating revenue for its athletic program BUT provides $3M in institutional support or ~5.6%.

I think your fellow students would enjoy knowing why their tuition and fees steadily increase.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ncaa-finan