Clinton keeping peace talks moving

Last Thursday, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas met to set forth a timetable for dates during which they would debate issues ranging from the rights of Palestinian refugees to the political status of Jerusalem. These formal peace talks, taking place for the first time in 20 months, set precedent for future peace treaties and diplomatic negotiations that would affect much of the Middle East.

Clinton hinted at the laborious and daunting nature of the agreements, saying that “we’ve been here before, and we know how difficult the road ahead will be.” She also conveyed confidence in the resolution of fundamental differences that have separated Israelis and Palestinians for the past few decades.

In their attempt to clear out the secondary conflicts first, they eschewed the primary issue at hand: an extension of the moratorium on constructing more Jewish settlements in the West Bank. If both parties do not reach an agreement in this issue — Abbas wants to extend the moratorium beyond September, while Netanyahu’s interests seek to maintain the commencement date — the peace talks will instantly dissolve.

But Netanyahu, politically dependent upon his conservative coalition, has so far not exuded any hints of extending the moratorium. Last Wednesday, President Obama addressed Netanyahu and Abbas, warning them that the talks — and the stability of the West Bank in its entirety — are of much more importance than the extension of the moratorium. His warning was substantial. The day before, Hamas claimed responsibility for the brutal murders of four Israeli Jews who were shot near the city of Hebron in the West Bank.

Clinton’s unbending commitment has resonated behind the scenes as well, where she has diligently studied what previous United States efforts have worked — and which have not. With a long history of political activism, Clinton may just be the player who facilitates the achievement of a final agreement between two of the most fervent political interests in the Middle East.

The second meeting is scheduled for Sept. 14 in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt.

For stability to finally emerge, more will be needed than the political spout of Clinton. Netanyahu and Abbas must accommodate for the multitude of interests over which they preside. These interests must be addressed now more than ever.

Sagar Smith is a chemistry and economics freshman and may be reached at [email protected].