Soccer

Soccer team deflates TSU in 7-0 win

The Cougars broke out offensively to defeat Texas Southern 7-0 on Sunday and improve to 4-2-1.

The win gives UH a confidence boost after three games with frustrating results.

“When you get a win like this it’s all about the timing during the season,” head coach Susan Bush said. “I think we needed this confidence right now.”

The Cougars bombarded Tigers goalkeeper Erika Vasquez with 43 shots, 22 of which were on goal. Their seven goals could have been more, as several shots just missed, ricocheting off the crossbar or the side of the goal post.

The Cougars started the first half slowly, but came out strong in the second half ripping off five goals.

“At halftime, we just talked about the details of the game,” Bush said. “Just reviewing a lot of things that you can get away with when you have a lot of time on the ball and not a lot of pressure. I feel like, in the second half, we took care of some details, and it was a good win for us.

“Seven to zero is a good result, especially after a tough loss on Friday.”

Sami Sackos and Lauri Byrne led the way for the Cougars by scoring two goals each. Sackos also picked up an assist on Byrne’s goal in the second half. Kylie Cook, Kaitlin Thulin and Natalie Vu also scored for the Cougars.

The team has already scored more goals through its first seven games (18) than they did all of last season.

“If we’re on and finishing our chances, we can be very good,” Bush said. “Sometimes, we just don’t know which team is going to come out.

“We’re working on our consistency and our focus in practice through the week. They needed this win, and we only have one more game until we open up conference play. ”

The Cougars play Texas-San Antonio at 1 p.m. Sunday in San Antonio.