Trash-talking Jets need some manners

Last Saturday, during a New York Jets practice, reporter Ines Sainz was verbally harassed during and after practice.

Sainz, who was on the field during the practice, was repeatedly subjected to practice plays that repeatedly ended near her on the field. The practice plays were intended to get the players close to Sainz in order for the players to gawk at her.

Sainz, a journalist for TV Azteca and the former Miss Spain, was not the one to report the incidents that happened that day; her colleagues did.

During an attempt to interview quarterback Mark Sanchez, Sainz cited that various players called out chauvinistic comments and demeaning sentiments toward her. Sainz did tweet about the incident mentioning that the environment in the locker room was uncomfortable.

What is really at issue here is whether or not women should go into the locker rooms of male athletes.

If this is considered as a fairness issue, then yes — women should be allowed everywhere male journalists have access. This right is protected by both the First and Fourteenth Amendments.

The legal rights and precedent matter less to some individuals, unfortunately.

Aside from the legal aspects, players and their coaches must be held accountable for their actions.

If head coach Rex Ryan is going to run a organization that acts wild and unprofessional, they deserve to be punished.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has demanded that the New York Jets staff and players provide detailed statements about the incident last Saturday.

Andrew Taylor is an economics senior and may be reached at [email protected].

• Even Ines herself has made public statements saying that this is a non-issue that has been blown out of proportion by the media. Excellent reporting! How about covering something that actually matters….