Prostitution remains difficult situation to handle

On Sept. 15, Craigslist told Congress that it had completely removed the Adult Services section of its website. Members of congress and several advocacy groups pressured the company to remove the adult section. The concern from law enforcement bodies and Congress came after recent allegations of murderers finding victims online and charges of aiding sex trafficking.

Even after removal, the potential dangers of prostitution and sex trafficking still exist on the website; they’re just not as explicit. If you want to advertise that you are looking for a certain encounter, you still can in the encounters section. Whether or not you advertise a price, the risk of grave danger still exists both legally and fundamentally.

The reality is that prostitution still exists in our modern society.

The city of Houston is a bustling city, and for the most of us, our professions and daily routines shelter us from the ugly sides of city life. When we hear of prostitution, it can catch us by surprise.

In 1998, Sweden made international headlines when they announced their new law against prostitution. This new law stated that it is illegal to buy sex but not to sell it, reducing the amount of prostitutes by 50 percent. Now, the United Kingdom plans on adopting the same law in order to have the same effect.

While this new law is making life difficult for prostitutes, they have managed to find a way to cope. Prostitutes have been adapting by using technology to their advantage. Instead of risking being caught by the police, they use profiles on the Internet to meet clients in a safe, police-free environment.

Laws are always changing, as are the ways around them. In the US, the federal government allows each individual state to create its own laws. Texas laws concerning prostitution states that it is illegal to sell sex, buy sex or engage in sexual acts for a fee.

Although our laws that fight prostitution are a bit stricter than those of our European neighbors, the effort to control the streets remain difficult.

Prostitution will continue to remain a black market, and completely getting rid of it will likely be impossible. The most important piece to take away from this problem is not just attempting to eradicate prostitution and sex trafficking, but ensuring that society evolves and the quality of life improves for everyone.

Margarita Campos is a creative writing sophomore and may be reached at [email protected].

• Part 1
    Decriminalizing consenting adults in private is known to decrease street prositution and brothels, because the women tend to go independent when they no longer need a brothel or pimp to protect them. It also makes it harder for the pimps to hide and exploit kids and gives sanction and protection to all. People can then report THE GIRL LOOKED TO YOUNG, without fear of being prosecuted and pubilicly humilated. A women can report violence or rape or being FORCED INTO HUMAN TRAFFICKING. We need to address why we still allow HATE CRIMES against prostitutes, and I read many sting articles were Law Enforcement brags, we do these stings to run these women out of OUR COUNTY> WE do not allow hate crimes based on gender, race, religion, or sexuality, nor do we arrest drunk women who have sex with strangers regularly, BUT IF A WOMEN GETS PAID, it becomes a issue.

• part 2
    We have the do gooder who want to save us from ourselves, that collect donations for human trafficking vicitims and then PROVIDE NO SERVICES, they use the money on their personal campaign on the moral witch hunt, in the media, like a politican. I have no doubt if I collected money for starving kids and did not sent food I would go to jail for fraud. No women is safe being HOMELESS. Women have the right to negotiate why they are willing to have sex, whether I negotiate for marriage, or cash, or for company/dinner & drinks, is nobody elses business if I am an adult.
    We should run a campaign called "SHOE" STOP HATING ON ESCORTS"