Letters to the Editor

Tea Party movement relies on lies to create fear

For those of you who have occasionally seen students on our campus with pictures of President Obama altered with a Hitler mustache, those are members of the Tea Party, a racist group that will stop at nothing to get rid of our current president.

Everything the Tea Party says and does is nothing but lies and a cover up for racist Republicans who think that, just because we now have a half-black man in office, the world is going to the dogs.

For example, many in the Tea Party don’t believe that Obama was born in America (they hold a common belief that he was born in Africa or someplace else.)

Aside from his birth certificate, if that were true, he wouldn’t be president in the first place because you have to be born in the United States to run for president.  Next, they try to say that he is trying to take away our guns and money.

This is completely false! No policies have been created that limit the Second Amendment rights.

Furthermore, Obama has actually given tax breaks to the working and middle classes and even extended Bush’s big business tax cuts.

So what about that NASA budget reduction?  It basically never happened because Congress rewrote the budget leaving out all but a few of Obama’s budget cuts.

And no, he’s not setting up death panels in his health care reform. If Obama were white, the Tea Party would not exist in the first place.

It’s one thing to disagree with his policies; it’s another to spread slander and distort fact and truth. If government didn’t tell people what to do sometimes, there would be chaos and anarchy.

Austin Vaughn is a hotel and restaurant management senior.

• Lawls. You should do stand up. Best joke I've heard all day. I'd tear this article apart for how idiotic it is but you've done all the work for me.

• Austin, those people you see with signs of Obama with a Hitler stache are likely not (UH) students, and they are not Tea Partiers. They are fanatical followers of a wily old Democrat named Lyndon LaRouche. In the same breath in which you condemn the Tea Party's racism and ridiculously attacks, you make your own against them. While the Tea Party movement has gotten pretty out of hand, the frustrations that they were founded on are legitimate.