Staff Editorial

Domestic violence leaves people abandoned

October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, and while awareness of breast cancer — which is most definitely a worthy cause — receives most of the attention this month, domestic violence is an issue we should all be paying attention to. According to Houston’s KHOU, over 20,000 calls to Dallas police are made per year from women who feel threatened by their significant others.

KHOU went on to tell the story of Shatavia Roberts, a mother of two who is now homeless, hungry and on the streets looking for a safe haven after she was threatened at gunpoint by her boyfriend.

After that, every violence shelter in Dallas turned her away.

Debra Nixon-Bowles, who operates a domestic violence outreach organization called Women Called Moses Coalition, heard of Roberts’ situation and raised enough money to put Roberts and her two children in a hotel for the night of Oct. 17.

Only 150 beds are available in Dallas to battered women and children.

“I have not had to sleep outside, I have not had my kids taken from me,” Roberts said, who still feels blessed in spite of her terrible ordeal. “I’m hoping that somewhere I can get some help soon.”

“The shelters are dancing as fast as they can,” said Jan Edgar Langbein, executive director of the Genesis Women’s Shelter, who told KHOU that the lack of beds in Dallas is no secret. “We all have to roll up our sleeves, it can’t just be the shelters or police.”

So as everyone is busy talking about the upcoming election — partisan politics and the like — perhaps we should all take a minute to remember how lucky we are, be thankful for the roofs over our heads and the friends and family we oftentimes take for granted. It’s easy to get caught up in trivial things, but most of the important things in our lives have become expected, unfulfilling. And just maybe we can all dip into our own pockets and donate to a worthwhile cause from time to time.

Try it. You might feel better.

• V.P. Biden recently called violence against women, "the very worst abuse." The very worst abuse is valuing one life less than another for having been born the wrong sex. Under Biden's Violence Against Women Act the wrong sex is men. Shelter and services are virtually non-existent for male victims of domestic violence so those options out of a bad relationship, that are routinely available to women, are very often not available to men. Men wind up gender profiled and often falsely accused by the taxpayer funded, d.v. industry, because of gender feminist ideology controlling the d.v. industry. Men are often battered by domestic violence, and then battered again by the taxpayer funded, domestic violence industry. Credible research overwhelmingly shows that the ratio of d.v. is at least 50/50 between women & men. http://tinyurl.com/3sakk According to one study by researchers who work at the CDC, in 70% of domestic violence incidents, where the domestic violence is not mutual, it's women who initiate the domestic violence. http://tinyurl.com/yzm9xhe The taxpayer funded domestic violence industry has largely mischaracterized the true nature of d.v. from the beginning and continues to mislead the public. D.V. law follows a gender feminist agenda/ideology over facts in evidence and does great harm to many innocent men (and also many battering women who need help) as shown in "Los Misandry"