UH among top 5 most-spirited campuses

Football season is in full effect and UH fans are showing their pride for the team with a new web application.

Gowalla check-in is a mobile and web location app game that allows students and fans to click and check in at hot spots within their schools to show their school pride. The more students that check in at UH, the more prizes Gowalla awards.

Kate Gaviola, UH Pride Patrol vice president, has the app installed on both her phone and her iPad.

“Everywhere I go, I make sure I check in,” Gaviola, an economics and political science sophomore said. “I love Gowalla because it allows me to keep track of places me and my friends go. (We) sometimes use it as a GPS device to find each other, and it’s great when you are playing treasure hunt.”

The four designated spots for Gowalla check-in on the UH campus are the University Center, Robertson Stadium, the baseball field, and the statue at the UC.

Gowalla adds up the number of check-ins at colleges across the country, and the school with the most check-ins is the school with the most spirit.

The school with the most people checking in wins a $10,000 scholarship.

“I think Gowalla is another great opportunity for Coogs to be competitive and win,” Corbin Lewis, biochemistry junior, said.

Each time a student checks in for their school, they also have a chance of winning different prizes such as a Macbook Air, iPod or iTunes gift cards.

The top 25 schools are ranked on the Gowalla website.

UH is currently in the top five at number five.

The University of Texas at Austin is in the number one slot. Texas A&M and Baylor universities also placed in the top 10.

The winning college will be announced at the end of the football bowl season.