Track begins season at moderate pace

p>Some of the Cougars’ best runners were absent from the Leonard Hilton Invitational on Friday.

Head coach Leroy Burrell used the meet as a way to ration his athletes.

“It was a tune-up for us,” Burrell said. “We didn’t really run very many events or double anyone. It makes it kind of difficult to score a lot of points that way.”

Burrell is saving sprinter Errol Nolan and hurdler Cameron LaCour for the Nebraska Adidas Classic on Saturday in Lincoln, Neb.

Kelvin Furlough — a transfer from Southwestern Christian College — looks to be a newcomer who will make an impact. He placed fourth in the 60-meter dash, clocking in at 6.79 seconds. Isaiah Sweeney finished fifth with a 6.86-second split.

In the 60-meter hurdles, Thomas Lang earned a fifth-place finish in 8.15 seconds.

Joseph Irabor won the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.46 seconds. Jeffrey Thomas was the runner-up with a 22.49-second finish.

Doug Kelley ran the 400-meter dash in 48.95 seconds — good for third place.

Lamar Delaney won the long jump with a leap of 23.6 feet.

Whitney Harris was the top UH finisher in the 60-meter dash, placing second in 7.44 seconds. Christie Jones was fifth with a 7.53-second performance.

Oklahoma transfer DeMeeka Jones placed second in the 60-meter hurdles, crossing the finish line in 8.60 seconds.

The women’s 4×400-meter relay team notched third place, coming in at three minutes, 44 seconds. Harris, Brittany Wallace, Jones and Kalyn Floyd composed the relay.

Karley King was the top pole vaulter, winning with a clearance of over 12 feet.

UH nabs Harvard coach

Next season, UH defensive linemen will be under new management.

Head coach Kevin Sumlin added Carlton Hall to his staff Tuesday to replace Jim Jeffcoat. Hall spent the previous four seasons at Harvard as an assistant defensive line coach.

“I am thrilled with the chance to coach in a great conference and learn from great coaches,” Hall said in a release. “I have established relationships with the high school coaches from recruiting from this city for Harvard over the past four years.”