Guest Commentary

Ideological dreams remain true today

For many of us, the concept of globalization has recently become a new and widely applied notion in analyses of our country’s educational systems, economic conditions, business practices and governmental relations.

While globalization has been practiced for thousands of years among countries (e.g. the trading of goods and services), the technological advances of the past two decades have dramatically increased its impact on our world and led to a newfound, fascinating, and remarkable connectedness of people around the globe.

During the 20th century, and still today, Mohandas K. Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., fascinated the world with their campaigns for justice and freedom via a remarkable non-violent approach.

Gandhi’s non-violent campaigns against social injustices in South Africa and political strife in India influenced Dr. King’s civil rights campaigns and public service in the US.

While many geographical, cultural, economic and political differences exist among countries like South Africa, India and the US, similarities lie within their citizens: human beings who desired the basic human rights of justice, freedom and equal opportunity.

In 1963, Dr. King’s dream represented a hope for justice and freedom through non-violent means that still remains relevant today.

Issues of war, freedom, genocide, oppression, discrimination and inequality continue to plague our world; however, the globalization of the dream has increased our awareness of and abilities to address such social problems across races, borders, oceans, continents and cultures.

As we participate in this innovative approach to being globally engaged, let us not forget the need to be locally responsive to the needs of our communities, state and country, as so brilliantly exemplified by Gandhi and Dr. King.

Sheara Williams is an associate professor at the Graduate College of Social Work.