Staff Editorial

Death threats put high schooler behind bars

A Crosby High School Student appeared in court Thursday morning after he posted a video on his Facebook page, in which he threatened to kill two of assistant principals at his school, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Judge McGriff, 18, was sent to an alternative learning center after being caught with contraband prescription drugs in November; the video was made and posted in an effort to get him re-enrolled in Crosby High School.

“You shouldn’t have kicked me out of school,” McGriff said in the video. He also told one of the administrators, “I will stab you and your unborn baby.”

We can’t help but wonder why this seemed like a rational and logical solution to the teenager.

If he was looking to be re-enrolled in school, there were obviously better — and more reasonable — ways to go about it. First, an appeal might have better served his purpose. And we might just be old-fashioned, but we don’t usually issue death threats to our administrators — or anyone, for that matter.

Not many people take your requests into consideration after threatening to kill them. In fact, most of the time death threats get you put behind bars, especially this soon after the Arizona shooting.

It’s also ridiculous that he was upset enough about repercussions to his own mistake that he would threaten the lives of two innocent people — one of whom was pregnant.

If you’re going to knowingly bring contraband items to school, it should be understood that you’re opening yourself up to the consequences of your actions.

McGriff was arrested on charges of retaliation, a third-degree felony. His attorney, Steven Greenlee, has requested a mental evaluation for his client, according to the Chronicle.

McGriff now faces anywhere from two to 10 years in prison for his public call for attention, which is clearly the exact opposite result than what he was hoping for.

The moral of this story: don’t threaten to kill people if you want to remain out of jail.