Staff Editorial

Abortion legislation not necessary or advised

On the 38th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, Gov. Rick Perry announced that he is placing a bill that tightens abortion regulation on the expedited legislation list.

In plain English, Perry doesn’t like the Supreme Court’s interpretation of the Constitution, and he’s trying to do something about it. The problem is, the bill in question (that is also endorsed by Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and Houston state Sen. Dan Patrick) is a cumbersome, costly piece of legislation that helps no one.

The bill makes all women receive a sonogram, listen to a doctor speak about the attributes of the fetus and listen to its heartbeat. The women would also have to be notified of choices other than abortion 24 hours before the procedure.

This isn’t the first time Perry has tried to pass the so-called sonogram bill. A less restrictive version was voted down in the Texas House in 2009. However, this time Republicans hold a majority in both sides of state Congress, which means the bill will have a much easier time passing through.

In a time where Texas is facing a multi-billion dollar deficit, a bill requiring more government intervention — and therefore, more tax dollars — this is not the best fiscal option. It’s not the most ethical option, either. The proposed measures this piece of legislation takes are extreme. Making pregnant women receive a sonogram is one thing, but requiring them to listen to the heartbeat and the physical state of the fetus is nothing more than a guilt trip.

Whether or not people agree with abortion, it is fact that the highest authority in the US, the Supreme Court, decided it was legal. For the state to come in and decree more red tape is completely contrary to the entire Conservative doctrine Texas lives by. Perry isn’t trying to stay neutral on this issue, either; on Saturday he called the Roe v. Wade decision a “tragedy” at a pro-life rally, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Unfortunately, this law seems destined to pass, regardless of its actual merit. Hopefully Perry and Congress will give the budget a more thorough read-over than this bill.

• “Perry doesn’t like the Supreme Court’s interpretation of the Constitution” Actually the Supreme Court over stepped its bounds by ruling on Roe vs Wade. But only someone who is for killing innocent people and blind would see the polar opposite.

• Forcing women to listen to anything or anyone and do anything with respect to their bodies is a violation of their civil rights.

Why do we allow political extremists to pass state laws just to make each other look stupid …knowing all along the law won't survive a U.S. Constitutional challenge in federal court…especially the SCOTUS?!

European government forcing their residents to do something they didn't want to do without discussion and debate is why we created this country in the first place.

Great editorial.
    ::
    GP

• I only hope that every time any woman is subjected to this crap, our legislators are also reminded of the costs associated with prenatal care and child birth. Legislators should also be reminded that 42% of women who get abortions live below the poverty level (http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html). Convincing these women not to abort likely means that the state will be picking up part of the tab. Do these legislators really want to be picking up the costs for these children for the next 18 years in food stamps, WIC, and CHIP?

And what of women who abort due to fetal abnormalities? Isn't it kind of disgusting to lecture these women about fetal development and force them to listen to a heartbeat when the baby they carry isn't viable?

Even if their hearts are in the right place, our representatives in the state need to make sure their heads are screwed on strait before voting on this.

• it is the sacred duty of every texan to move across the country as soon as they are financially able. there's no reason for anyone to voluntarily live in this tumor of a state.