Staff Editorial

US only solution for lasting peace in Egypt

For those who have watched the anti-government protests unfold over the past week in Egypt, it is clear that government reform is the only solution.

Suffering more than 30 years of authoritarian rule under President Hosni Mubarak, the people of Egypt have grabbed national attention with their outcries of government reform and self-representation.

With pressure from President Barack Obama and the tens of thousands of protesters swarming the streets, Mubarak believed he did his part by firing his cabinet members and electing the first-ever vice-president — not at all what the people wanted.

His government shut down Internet access, cell phone services and issued mandatory curfews following growing unrest over the economic and political situation plaguing Egypt.

Much of the news coming through the wires is restricted to the 140 character limit imposed on Twitter. Through social networks, like Facebook and Twitter, the world has been able to get a close-up of what is going in the front lines of the demonstrations. Social media’s role over the past week has played a significant part in gaining foreign support and informing those outside of the reach of Egypt’s censorship.

Mubarak could have easily solved the unrest that has claimed the lives of more than 100 people in the cities of Suez, Cairo and Alexandria by just resigning, but he remains in power. Sixty-eight people lost their lives during Friday’s protests.

It seems the only country able to calm the situation is the US, which annually allots approximately $1.5 billion to the suppressive government. The US must be modest in its involvement, but at the same time free elections must be sanctioned in order to guarantee peace in the region.

Egypt’s role in the Middle East has greater implications, but at this time it is about the people. In the days following last week’s highly publicized demonstrations, Egypt has remained unstable with thousands still loitering the streets.

The people demand a democratic Egypt, and the US should heed the call by pressuring Mubarak into leaving office before the county further destroys itself.

• The US should certainly stop funding Mubarak's military, so he will have to stop killing Egyptians. The US should probably not get any further involved though, because too many US backed leaders are tyrants.