Being single isn’t as bad as you think

Feb. 14 is sometimes referred to as “Single’s Awareness Day.” If you’re alone this Valentine’s Day, don’t be upset. Instead, enjoy being single while you can. | Wikimedia Commons

It’s the first day of February, which means there are only thirteen days to secure a date for Valentine’s Day. Some people are fortunate enough to already have someone with whom to exchange loving wallposts and text messages. However, some of us aren’t that lucky.

But is it really an issue of luck (or lack thereof)? I don’t think so. I mean, maybe I’m not in the best position to evaluate relationships because none of mine have worked out, but it was probably best that they didn’t anyway. If you’re worried about not having a date for Valentine’s Day, you’re not looking at the right side of the story.

The best thing about being single is that you can live your life on your own terms and socialize with whomever you’d like, whenever you’d like. Sure it’s nice to have companionship, but that’s what good friends are for.

If you feel like you’re lacking in that part of your life, the first thing you should do is step out of your comfort zone and meet new people. You can always strike up a conversation with the person that sits next to you in your classes or go to an event with a friend and talk to people that you wouldn’t normally talk to. Really, there are more than 30,000 people on this campus; you’re bound to find at least one person that’s a potential candidate.

Now, you might fear being turned down by someone whom you’ve never met, but it’s all part of the game. Chances are, though, that someone isn’t going to reject a friendly conversation.

If they do, they probably weren’t worth your time anyway — in that case, just say, “It was good talking to you,” and walk away.

Not having to answer to anyone or tell someone about your plans is nice, too. You don’t have to worry about getting in an argument because you spend too much time with your friends and not your significant other; nor do you have to feel obliged to spend all of your time with one person. If that’s happening, by the way, you might want to think about why that is — clinginess is never attractive. Having a life outside of your relationship is important.

Another perk of being single is that you have a bunch of options. It’s kind of like an ice cream shop — there are so many flavors to choose from, and if you don’t like one, you just move on to the next. Jay-Z wrote a song about just that, actually.

Unless you’re the type to sit at home and watch movies all the time, dating drains your bank account. Going out to eat all the time also makes you gain weight. Watch out for that — it’s a definite downside to the dating scene.

So, the best thing to rememer is that you’re not alone. And even if you’re bummed about being single, just talk to someone new. This Valentine’s Day, spend time with a few friends or go see a movie. Sometimes it’s a good thing to enjoy your own company. I also hear that dating websites are a good way to meet people. I’m only kidding — that’s definitely not the best way to go about changing your relationship status — take my word for it.

[email protected].

• Yes!! Own it! We need to quit stressing about not being in a relationship and celebrate it instead. When you're single, you're so busy worrying about how you're going to meet "the one" that you forget that you should be enjoying life. I wrote a book about all the virtues of being single. It's called "365 Reasons Why I'm Still Single." It's a great reminder for every day of the year of why it's great to be single (and it makes a great Valentine's Day gift for your single friends!)

You check it out on Amazon: http://amzn.to/efDMiC or be a fan on Facebook!