Spring event to highlight advances

The 18th annual Humans in Space Symposium, presented by the International Academy of Astronautics, will put a spotlight on the University’s recent advances in space biomedical research.

It will also emphasize the recent debut of its master’s program in human space exploration sciences and the space life sciences track within its doctoral kinesiology program.

The symposium this April is hosted by UH, NASA, UTMB and three other organizations.

Held at the Westin Galleria Conference Center, the symposium will bring over 500 attendees to Houston, representing most of the space-faring nations in the world, said William Paloski, a UH professor and chair of the Scientific Organizing Committee for the symposium.

“This symposium will shine a light on some of our accomplishments in space biomedical research and education, demonstrate some of our leadership capabilities to the greater space life sciences community and offer an opportunity for all the attendees to hear about our broader science and research accomplishments during President Khator’s address in the opening ceremony,” Paloski said.

Attendees will have the opportunity to visit the UH campus for the Elizabeth D. Rockwell Lecture.

The lecture will be given by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, the first occupant of the Frederick P. Rose Directorship of the Hayden Planetarium.

In addition to the Rockwell Lecture, the symposium will feature the presentation of about 400 scientific and technical papers and special presentations to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin’s historic first space flight and the 30th anniversary of the first Space Shuttle mission.

For more information, visit the symposium web page at http://www.dsls.usra.edu/meetings/IAA/.