Somali pirates make a blood-red sea

A warning ignored is an invitation for disaster, as the recent kidnapping and murder of four Americans by Somali pirates tragically illustrates. Just as the casual dismissal of a high voltage sign can result in a lethal shock, sailing in pirate-patrolled waters can prove equally fatal.

In 2010 alone, 1,181 hostages were taken by bands of these roving thugs, with eight reported deaths.

There are currently close to 700 people being held for ransom. With the average price being paid out reaching $5 million, kidnapping remains a lucrative activity for Somali pirates.

International trade depends on the free use of the seas, and trade vessels unavoidably remain targets. Recreational sailors, on the other hand, willfully disregard these statistics and continue to brazenly travel in areas known to be infested with marauders.

For the four Americans killed, overconfidence and a misguided sense of purpose proved deadly. Their fate should serve as both a grave tale of caution and an immediate call to arms.

On Feb. 18, the sailing yacht Quest was captured off the coast of Oman by Somali pirates.

Taken captive were a well-traveled group of friends consisting of Jean and Scot Adam, Phyllis MacKay and Bob Riggle.

Hardly naïve, they were well aware of the dangers they faced when they inexplicably decided to sail through the Red Sea, a known haven for pirates.

Soon after the initial assault, the US Navy responded, and for nearly five days tried to negotiate the Americans’ release.

Early last Tuesday, all hopes of rescue instantly vanished when gunfire erupted aboard the yacht, leaving the four Americans dead.

Afterwards, friends reported that the Adams were on a multi-year mission of distributing bibles and were dismissive of any dangers they faced.

The Adams intent may have been noble, but their beliefs caused them to act recklessly. In essence, they needlessly placed themselves in harm’s way under the pretext of service towards others.

Little did they consider that few messages could be spread if the messengers are killed.

Likewise, Phyllis MacKay and Bob Riggle expressed a somewhat cavalier attitude believing that they were prepared against any threats.

Exactly how they prepared against a dozen or more heavily armed militants was not detailed. Whether due to arrogance or self-delusion, they were terribly overestimating their ability.

While the murdered Americans carry a good deal of responsibility for their fate, they certainly did not deserve to be killed.

Their execution should serve as a rallying cry to international forces —that they should increase their efforts to eradicate these ocean-going terrorists.

First, no governing body should negotiate with the pirates. In all likelihood, this will initially result in more senseless killing as the pirates’ demands are refused.

However, once it becomes apparent that there is no possibility of financial gain, the motivation for kidnapping will dissipate.

Second, the US Navy and other nations should form a floating barricade in the international waters off the Somali coast, with explicit instructions to at least capture — and, if necessary, kill — any and all pirates.

Finally, attempts should be made to establish legitimate forms of commerce within Somalia itself.

A robust fishing trade is one possible option that would provide a sustainable alternative to piracy.

When given the option, most people tend to prefer legal means of earning a living over criminality.

In these times of global interdependence, there are simply no excuses for allowing barbarians to continue their tyranny over the open seas.

• Mark,
    Why do you say " Phyllis MacKay and Bob Riggle expressed a somewhat cavalier attitude believing that they were prepared against any threats."

I'm not saying you are right or wrong, I'm just wondering where you got your information.

Seattle Sailor

• Simply put Jean and Scot Adam, Phyllis MacKay and Bob Riggle believed in something greater then themselves, their God and Jesus Christ his son. They believed as many before them have believed all down through history that what they were doing was important. They have that right, the right of free choose, the freedom to decide for themselves how they wanted to live their lives. They wanted to make a difference in the world, and make it a better place. Have you ever believed in something or anything so strongly that you are willing to put your life at risk to see it done? Without people like them and others our country would have never come to be. So as you have the freedom to write an article about their last days on earth, you do not have the right to belittle their actions. I say your way of thinking and the type of person you present yourself to be by writing this article the way you did is exactly what the enemies of the US want. There is a saying my grandfather told me when I was young, “You have to stand for something or you will fall for anything”. So I ask you; what is it that you stand for and what are you willing to sacrifice for it?
    US Army Veteran

• So, Rook, you defend terrorists. You said " Have you ever believed in something or anything so strongly that you are willing to put your life at risk to see it done?" you make it seem as having this thought process justifies the original idea. The 9/11 terrorists were willing to give their lives for their cause, so….under your posting here, clearly shows them to be justified. In their minds they were trying to "make a difference in the world" and from their point of view "make it a better place" (to use your own words). Though you and I disagree with that ideaology, according to you, we are forbidden to write about it because that "belittles their actions". Its a two way street amigo. I'm sure the writer of this article stands for many things, but the importance of these things is in no way defined by his willingness to die for them. If I say I am willing to die for cause that all crosswalks should be painted green, that doesnt make crosswalk painting some worthy cause.

• Now to address your claims on the intentions of our enemies. What the enemies of the United States want is for us to not exist, you use their actions as an excuse to tell a writer what he/she should or should not discuss, yet under our constitution they are protected to do so. You can stand for something without dying for it or willing to die for it, I promise.

• Most certainly all innocent people do not deserve to be murdered
    Part 1
    For the information of everyone, a campaign organised by the Round Table of shipping stakeholders, viz. BIMCO, ICS/ISF, INTERCARGO, and INTERTANKO and in association with the ITF commenced operation on 1 March this year. This unified effort has chosen the theme Save Our Seafarers with a web URL of http://www.saveourseafarers.com
    The site is intended to provide updated information relating to piracy and seeks the support of all who agree with its aim – to eliminate the hellish scourge that plagues decent innocent profession seafarers that has blossomed in the full light of political apathy that has not demonstrated the will to resolve the situation. Now, leaders of states will have their plates full of the consequences of political unrest in North Africa and the Middle East excusing them from further delaying effective action.

• Part 2
    This campaign follows on from last years the END PIRACY NOW (in case hyper linking does not work – http://www.itfseafarers.org/petition.cfm) one which culminated in the presentation of a petition to the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) Secretary General on 23 September 2010 (World Maritime Day)a video of which can be viewed by clicking HERE (http://www.youtube.com/user/FASTfaceofshipping)
    Through the site, individuals can send a letter to their head of government, the process takes under a minute with the ability to preview the letter. I would urge all those that read this to take time out from their busy work routines to act on this and support the SOS campaign. In so doing support will be demonstrated for a tiny fraction of the world population (seafarers) who are exposed to obnoxious criminal activities in the course of their honest profession. True they number only around 1.5 million souls but through their endeavour, they fuel the world economy, keep homes warm in winter and cool in summer as well as providing the luxuries of life that certainly the developed world enjoys and make it bearable elsewhere.

• Part 3
    The END PIRACY NOW campaign handed over had close to one million signatures to it when handed over to the IMO. Not so many by the world population standard, but it is a significant percentage of the maritime one. Through the efforts of all, let us generate many millions of letters to heads of governments as with such numbers they will have to stop and take stock.
    The world owes the seafarer so much but does little to show appreciation for these members of society who are also unjustly held against their will not only by pirates but also through other political and conflicting business interests.
    Please demonstrate your support for them by signing now and place a link on your web site to the SOS one and remember that MARITIME PIRACY COSTS YOU MONEY.
    Jim Nicoll – http://www.faceofshipping.com

• Part 4
    Common Sense
    Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense.
    Mr. Sense had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons such as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

• Part 5
    His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place – Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate. Teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch. And a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further – When schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

• Part 6

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live – As the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense finally gave up the ghost – After a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge financial settlement.
    Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights and Ima Whiner. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on; if not, join the majority and do nothing.
    The end.

• I did indeed. And I read the whole article – not merely the 6 word throw-away about their not deserving to be killed after the several paragraphs detailing why they apparently did deserve to be killed.
    The paragraph that you extract your second point from (once again, the whole paragraph and not just the words you mention) precisely illustrates the 'woolly thinking' I was talking about: The entire naval forces of every country in the world do not have enough ships to form a 'floating barricade' of the Gulf of Aden. And what instructions does the author think those forces have currently?
    As to the suggestion that the Somalis have turned to piracy because their fish stocks are depleted, that is simply nonsense, as I have already said in another reply above.
    Finally, Al Qaeda hates the West for the reasons you mention, among many others that are probably more compelling, but they hold us in contempt because we are weak, vacillating, unprincipled, unresolved and ineffectual – and the way we are pussyfooting around with the Somali pirates is a perfect illustration of this.

• entering somali tribal waters is an act of war and any vessel that ignores this warning should be boarded and seized by local militia.

also, the pirates used to just hold the crew for ransom and let them go once they were paid. this changed when the glorious US navy betrayed and murdered a boarding crew last year. now, the pirates are killing crew members of captured vessels to show everyone they mean business if any warships come close.

• you don't know what you are talking about. Why don't you report something instead of giving your opinion? We would all like to know where you got this ludicrous info about these people being cavalier.