Frontier Fiesta brings fun, games, history

In 1939, UH established its most important tradition, Frontier Fiesta, which continues today.

Every spring student organizations and departments build Fiesta City from the ground up and host shows, carnival rides, games, concerts, cook-offs and auctions. This year Frontier Fiesta is in the Robertson Stadium parking lot; festivities begin at 4 p.m. on Thursday with a parade and ends at 1 a.m. Saturday night.

The proceeds from the festival help provide scholarships to graduate, undergraduate and high school students. In the past 15 years Frontier Fiesta has raised more than $70,000 in scholarships.

However, the most important function of Frontier is the tradition and camaraderie the festival instills.

It is a time in which students work together and build something great. UH’s diversity allows for many different types of experiences, and Frontier Fiesta is a shining example of this.

Students plan and prepare for months ahead of time to make it successful and memorable. It caught so much attention that LIFE magazine called it “the Greatest College Show on Earth” in 1958.

Students in the past have gotten so caught up in the festivities that administrators had to limit who could participate by GPA and then finally had to cancel it for 32 years in 1959. The only other time it had been cancelled was for WWII.

In was reinstated in 1991 and since then has flourished, but still not lived up to what it once was. It seems that the University as a whole has forgotten its greatness.

Throughout the years many aspects have changed. It used to be held in the same space where the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center is now. It also used to be the Fat Stock Show — now the Houston Lifestock Show & Rodeo. However, the fundamentals haven’t changed. It’s an opportunity for students to come together.

As one of our only traditions more students should know about it and attend. It is open to the public and can be an opportunity to get more involved on campus. It is easy to be a commuter student, but it’s rewarding to care about what UH does.