Museum shines lights on Mexico

The Aztec Calendar is comprised of a series of symbols that represent both a year and day count and is based on a 52-year rotation. The calendar was adapted from the Mayan calendar, which dates back to at least the 5th century BCE. | Miguel Cortina/The Daily Cougar

Much of Mexico’s culture and history can be seen in one place: The Museum of Anthropology. The museum is the most-visited in Mexico.

Located in Chapultepec, the anthropology museum contains artifacts, jewelry, masks, weapons and carvings that were used in Mexico through many empires.

A huge fountain located just after the entrance made the atmosphere different in the museum. The amount of history inside the exposition rooms is rich. Upon entering the Aztec room, the cultural impact of the empire is on full display. Visitors actually get to see the Aztec Calendar, a piece that UH students had been studying before we made the trip. Its size and can leave one entranced for minutes.

The materials used by the Mayans were equally impressive. The jade masks and jewelry reveal how innovative their empire was.

In the underground part of the museum, there is a replica from one of the tombs used by the Mayans for their rulers. The intricate detail in the stone carvings and the elegant jewelry in the tomb is amazing.

Across the street from the anthropology museum is the Modern Art museum.

This museum hosts works from artists like Diego Rivera, Frida Khalo, José Clemente Orozco and Rufino Tamayo, just to name a few.

The museum organized the works of art by decade, allowing visitors to see how art progresses through time. It begins with a painting from Khalo and ends with a sculpture of plastic cups glued together.

It was certainly a sight to see.