Small roster creates challenges

Things just aren’t what they used to be.

For head coach Kevin Sumlin and other programs across the country, spring football can be more of a thorn in the side than a crucial developmental phase of the season.

“I know for fans the spring game can be frustrating, but there are a lot of schools out there not even having spring games because of the depth situation,” Sumlin said.

“It’s not like the old days where you have over 100 guys. We’re waiting on the signing class to get here, and we only have 85 scholarship guys. You have limited players out there and by practice 15, you’re still working on some things to get it done.”

Checking up on Keenum’s health

Quarterback Case Keenum will not be playing at the annual Red and White Game on Saturday, but his absence during the spring season should not be cause for concern. His role is similar to what it was after his injury last season, serving as something between a player and assistant coach.

“Case spends a lot of time with me and he doesn’t do much of anything at practice,” Sumlin said. “We have 84 other guys that need to get better. Can Case get better? Sure, but there are a bunch of other guys who have a lot further to go than he does. We have plenty of time to get him ready. He’s doing some 7-on-7 and some other throwing drills. He’ll keep rehabbing through the offseason and he’ll have plenty of time to be ready.

“He is spending a lot of time out there with David (Piland) and Cotton (Turner). He’s out there in the huddles with them and that helps him stay involved with everything. I think he’s on track to be back. Everyone knows what kind of kid he is. If anything we have to be careful that he doesn’t try to do too much.”

Scoring system for spring game

On offense all regular scoring rules will be applied, but the defense will have plenty of opportunities to cash in.

A stop is worth a point for the defense. A stop on fourth down or a sack scores two points. If the kicker misses a field goal, or the defense forces a three-and-out, it will be worth three points.

Causing a turnover will score five points, and scoring a touchdown off a turnover will be worth nine points.

The offense will be the red team, the defense will wear white. Fans may enter through gates one, four and seven. All fan seating will be on the west side of the stadium.

Admission is free to all and concessions will be available. Following the game will be the 2011 Cougar Youth Experience. Students from kindergarten through 8th grade are welcome to join the Cougars on the field for a football clinic and autograph session.

The spring game will start at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Robertson Stadium.