Softball

UH aims for another winning streak

Senior pitcher Donna Bourgeois and the Cougars will play the last pair of non-conference games today. | Nine Nguyen/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars will look to build on their victory over No. 19 Texas A&M Wednesday when they take on Texas State today.

The task may be easier said than done as the Bobcats are currently on an 10-game winning streak.

“We just have to do what we know how to do and we’ll be able to take care of business with Texas State as well,” senior pitcher Amanda Crabtree said.

“Right now we are playing teams that we should beat, so basically we just need to take care of business by doing all the little things right,because every single one of these games we can win and need to win.”

Crabtree sat out of Wednesday’s game for an undisclosed injury.

She said it was only a minor tweak and a decision was made to give her some rest to be ready for the conference championships.

Freshman Diedre Outon will be looking to bounce back from Wednesday’s rough outing.

“I need to come out with no nerves and prove to everyone that I can come back and not let that game affect how I do in the next game that I play,” Outon said. “I just have to have a better head next time and not let the hits rattle me, and just shake it off.”

As the conference championship draws near, senior outfielder Katy Beth Sherman said it is all about perservering and playing through difficult situations late in the season.

“We got to scrap and do anything we can, bunt, take every walk we can, steal bases,” Sherman said. “We have to take every little bit we can until something falls into place and until we can come through in that one big opportunity.”

Friday’s twin bill is set for a 5 p.m.start at Bobcat Field in San Marcos.