Administration News

Cabinet position for research filled after months-long search

In an email to the UH community, President Renu Khator announced UH’s new vice chancellor/vice president for research and technology transfer after months of vetting potential candidates.

“I am pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Rathindra N. Bose as the new vice chancellor/vice president for research and technology transfer at UH,” Khator said in the email.

Bose currently serves as the dean of Ohio University’s Graduate College, and also serves as the university’s vice president for research. His position at UH becomes effective August 1.

“Dr. Bose has an exemplary record in administrative and academic roles, but his achievements as a researcher are particularly noteworthy,” Khator said in a UH news release.

According to the news release, Bose oversaw the Graduate College and its more than $35 million budget; Research and Sponsored Programs, which had an annual funding of $68 million; and Ohio University’s Innovation Center and its 16 start-up companies.

“I am pursuing this new opportunity at the University of Houston to work with its distinguished faculty and staff to create and implement a research agenda vital for the nation to keep us globally competitive,” Bose said in the news release.

“As a Tier One research institution, the University of Houston offers an enormous opportunity to fulfill my dream due its depth and breadth of faculty expertise, outstanding academic programs across the disciplines, state-of-the-art research infrastructures, its location, and more importantly, its strategic plan to expand the research and economic development enterprise.”

Bose received his Ph.D. degree in chemistry from Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., in 1982. He received both his master’s (1975) and bachelor’s (1973, with honors) degrees in chemistry from the Rajshahi University in Bangladesh.

In the news release, Khator commended Provost John Antel and the search committee he led for vetting the three candidates for the position. Dr. Kimberly Andrews Espy of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Dr. Charles F. Louis of the University of California-Riverside were also in the running for the position, and visited the campus in February and March respectively.

Bose participated in an open forum for the UH community on April 7.

Khator also commended professor Stuart Long, who is currently serving as interim vc/vp, for his “fine work and leadership in the interim position.”

Long will resume his teaching and research responsibilities as part of the Cullen College of Engineering faculty once Bose begins his duties in August.