Football Overtime

Football – Cougars expected to rebound; Keenum on radar for award

Dave Campbell sees the Cougars bouncing back from last year’s disappointing season to win Conference USA in 2011.

Campbell predicted the Cougars will lose their home opener to UCLA, but will respond by winning their next 10 games to go 11-1. Campbell’s predictions would lead UH to a postseason date against Auburn in the Liberty Bowl.

The preseason awards are beginning to pile in with senior quarterback Case Keenum being named to the watch list for the 75th Annual Maxwell Award on Tuesday.

The award is given to the best offensive player in the nation. In 2010 Auburn quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton claimed the accolade.

Others on the watch list include Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin, Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore, Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones, Oregon running back LaMichael James, Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill and USC quarterback Eric Barkley.

Keenum led the NCAA in total offense in 2008 and 2009, but was limited to three games last season after tearing his right anterior cruciate ligament against UCLA.

Candidates for the watch list are determined by the Maxwell Football Club’s selection committee, and the list may be modified during the season. The club will announce its semifinalist choices on Oct. 31 and choose three finalists from that group on Nov. 21. The winner will be revealed during ESPNU’s College Football Awards show on Dec. 8.